Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-28-2019, 06:40 AM

Being asked what one could conclude as to the nature of the Creator from a study of his creation, J.B.S. Haldane is said to have answered, “An inordinate fondness for beetles.”
Thank you, Alex, for your tireless work.

John
Unread 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Thank you, John!

Thank you, Brian!

And Brian, you’re exactly right about bug tracking. I’d mentioned the Able Muse proper, third-level web pages (the most important part of the site with all the contributing authors’ bios, and the related poems and articles!) that worked just fine before the server recovery were now loading completely blank pages! It took me three head-scratching days, but I’ve finally found that one line of code (out of thousands and thousands!) that was at fault. It was a statement that was valid and worked fine before the system crash, but with the recovered server and the added security measures and upgrades, the operating system now considers that line an invalid syntax (although for some reason it never gave me the right error notice: only a blank page!)! It was a head-scratcher since, before I could find the fault, simply renaming the (contributors’) module sort of got the pages to load (but badly so since all the context menus and stylings were missing). Sill, badly loading pages were definitely better than blanks, would have been my last resort had I not solved the riddle. So, even though it was three days of wasted time for something that should have been working, it’s better than the several weeks to months it would have taken me to re-code the pages, as I’d have had to do eventually. Anyhow, I’m sure you understand from your experience how these things can be quite challenging/frustrating!

Cheers,
…Alex
Unread 01-29-2019, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Alex,... my sympathies from across the Pond.

I'm exhausted, just reading about all the hard work you've had to do - but what a good thing you found the glitch that has saved you an inordinate amount of time.

Fingers crossed, the pruning I'm planning for tomorrow will go according to plan and not cause any further problems...
I just want a quiet life!!!!

But seriously, thanks for all you do. I like handling the day-to-day stuff, but I'm not armed with big guns; fortunately you are, for which we're all extremely grateful!

Jayne
Unread 01-29-2019, 06:07 PM

Post 27 is the best Captcha I've seen this week.
Unread 01-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Jayne -- can you give me the precise time when you'll start the pruning? I'm going to code up a small automated script to back up the site just before that ... and just in case!

Cheers,
...Alex