Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Distinguished Guest

Default Admirable websites

I am redoing my website (I do it every dozen years whether it needs it or not) and would like to know if there are other formal poets' websites that you particularly admire (and perhaps, briefly, why).

Thanks!
Unread 08-21-2015, 01:43 PM

I remember thinking that Annie Finch has a very fine website, with easy links to all her books.
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Distinguished Guest

Gail:

That's helpful--thanks! Annie & I have very different acts, but it helps to see the layout, the connections, and what's primary v. secondary.

Mike
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:26 PM

The writers' websites that I've liked best are easy on the eye and provide simple-to-find links to writing samples--poems, essays, translations, etc. One website that has struck me this way is Dana Gioia's. I especially liked that there were so many links to pieces of his to read. Also, links to other interesting sites is a big plus.
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:55 PM

Mike,

Instead of just looking at writer's sites, think about other striking sites you've noticed. The big thing these days is a really clean design, lots of white space, not too many images. The key word is 'responsive.' That's a term of art meaning it'll look good on browsers, tablets, phones, and across operating systems.

You want it to be really easy to update, and easy to organize. That means keeping coding to a minimum, a drag and drop interface, etc. I'm building one right now for a new journal I'm launching soon, and had to find one flexible enough that I could update it daily. I went with Divi, but there are many others out there, no matter what content management system you settle on. http://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery...ry/responsive/

The other plus: pick something really easy to learn. You don't want to be the prisoner of some script kiddie. Once it's set up, you can do it all yourself. It's the only way to get what you really want.

Best,

Bill
Unread 08-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Distinguished Guest

I like Dana's site, and his schtick is more similar to mine than Annie's, so maybe it is a good model. I agree with a clean look--when you've been in the government and have to police staff who all believe they will lose face if they are not represented on the agency's home page, it gets cluttered quickly.

Bill, I am not going to try to do this on my own. I have a charming & bright poet/techie friend who I am going to pay to do it (as I did in 2003). I can pay for it with two book reviews or op eds in the time I would spend being miserable figuring out some prepackaged program.

By the way, Bill, now that I have your attention, you & Maryann Corbett are acknowledged in the notes for my Aldhelm book. I really am appreciative of how people here respond to my whacky questions.
Unread 08-21-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Juster View Post
... now that I have your attention, you & Maryann Corbett are acknowledged in the notes for my Aldhelm book. I really am appreciative of how people here respond to my whacky questions.
Well, now I really have to bestir myself and buy the book! And I'm tickled when I can actually answer one of your wacky questions, Mike.
Unread 08-21-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryann Corbett View Post
Well, now I really have to bestir myself and buy the book!
Wait a minute. Shouldn't we both get free copies?
Unread 08-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Distinguished Guest

Can't send free copies without PM-ed mailing addresses.