Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Default Astounding Anagram poem

I don't expect anyone here (except possibly Brian) to undertake anything similar to this, but it's worth looking at if only to reflect how much time you're saving by not trying. Here is an anagram of a Dante Rossetti poem into another poem which isn't only a poem but also concrete art. Amazing.
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Wow. Thank you, Roger. That is a mind-blowing accomplishment. Full disclosure -- I have not verified that the tower poem is a perfect anagram. And when I center it on my screen, I get a slightly off-kilter tower. But only slightly, so I should really shut the bleep up. (Also, Astounding Anagram sounds almost like the title of a science fiction magazine from the middle of the last century, but what kind of jerk would bring that up?)
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:18 AM

On my screen it's perfectly centered. I don't use the word "astounding" lightly, for off-kilter anagrams! I didn't verify the anagram either, but I learned of this from the kind of people who do. There are places online that permit you to check such things with a simple cut-paste-click, so it's unlikely no one has done that yet.
Unread 04-06-2014, 11:45 AM

It is extraordinary.
Unread 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Yes, it's amazing. And yes, it's a perfect anagram.

The only problem that I can see is that the title 'About Paris' (which is needed for the anagram) looks as if it has been added by the anagrammatizer, since I can only find the original, untitled, as No. 2 of 'Last sonnets in Paris'. But who's quibbling?

Here is an anagram checker. Just enter the original and the anagram into the appropriate boxes, and it will tell you if there are any discrepancies. (If you're still sceptical, just add one letter to either of the boxes and run it again.)

http://www.anagramgenius.com/checker.html

Chris, you don't need to centre it yourself. If you scroll down the page, you'll see that they've done it for you, including the highlighting.

(P.S. 'Astounding Anagram' actually sounds almost like the titles of two SF magazines, Astounding and Analog. You and I must be the same kind of jerk.)

Last edited by Brian Allgar; 04-06-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:00 PM

I wasn't familiar with the magazines. I just found the anagram astounding, so that's what I called it.
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM

It is unbelievably amazing! This calls for lots of sci-fi adjectives and OTT superlatives and genius awards in the traditional French form of champagne.
Unread 04-06-2014, 04:01 PM

The anagram poem with its embedded tower shape astounds the hell out of me. My riff on pulp magazine titles was a trivial verbal tangent for which I apologize. (I saw the centered and highlighted poem at the link Roger provided. The fact that I couldn't reproduce the effect perfectly after copying and pasting the flush left version into my own Word document struck me as an interesting sidelight. But only a little bit interesting.)
Unread 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM

wow, Roger, tnx for posting this! Truly amazing. Even with online tools, it would take no small amount of fiddling to find the anagramable phrase!
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:23 AM

As John said, this is, indeed, extraordinary. Remarkable too!