Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Old 01-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Hello Allen,

Before you castigate Jim for his reference to 'camp' as well as to vampire novels I should 'fess up and remind you that it was me who threw the word into the mix. Hmm. Maybe it's the wrong word, but there's a certain tongue-in-cheek tone, an archness, a certain delight in artificiality and sophisticated aesthetics to your work that made me think of it. In some of your lighter poems more than this one maybe. If it's camp it's very old school camp: I'm thinking Noel Coward, Clifton Webb, George Sanders rather than Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

I'll stop before I embarrass myself with my third-rate Sontag, but these are compliments btw.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Jim,
I'm glad you took my reply in the friendly way I meant it. I was coy and played innocent earlier, and I apologize if I need to. I don't like her work and don't trust her influence. I have never done any research on her, but some random copies of her earlier books were floating around on a random book-exchange shelf where I live. I lifted up two or three and disliked them immediately. I have acquaintances, even friends, who might get something they need from those books, like relief from boredom or a secret transgressive thrill that I'd prefer not to know about. Contrariwise as it were, back before Harvey Weinstein and Dominque Strauss-Kahn became anti-heroes, I read books like "Vox" that President Clinton enjoyed also, and "Fanny Hill"; books too steamy to read in public these days. ("Slippery slope", patriarchy, and that rot.) Your life inside the skull is still private, more or less. They're working on eliminating that. Let's turn this thread into an Anne Rice appreciation arena! Also floating around were two of her more recent books, where she turns her skills to novelizing the life of Christ. There may be some who want her take on that. I like my whisky single-malt (and my ouzo Barbayanni Plomariou).

Mark,
If I could have the effect of Clifton Webb, Noel Coward, or George Sanders -- all performance greats -- I'd be very pleased. They had a hidden twinkle in their moves. I'd add Leo G. Carroll. Much of the science fiction that I enjoy has some of that. The science fiction I don't enjoy doesn't.

Is Team Eratosphere ready to run?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM

Haha! Let's run. But before...

(I understand your bristle; appreciate your coyness; There should be no comparison such as I made when you speak the way you do about such an eventful evening, conjured as it is by the life [that] rushes within us. Can you see I'm dancing the sidestep? ...And the rich detail recreates with such precision. So there... Soft shoe-ing now... that's all folks.)

I can tolerate ouzo on summer nights but prefer the memory of homegrown Herbas Provincial of long-ago Ibiza.

Last edited by Jim Moonan; Yesterday at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Ignore the previous deleted post in this spot, please. Jim accidentally stumbled on a private email address. If anyone needs to contact me, there is an email address for general use at my website : TiceWords.com.

Some versions of Firefox don't open the site properly. If this happens to you, contact me by PM and try a different browser.

Best to all.

Last edited by Allen Tice; 01-16-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:06 PM

Please note the explanation and correction to my just previous post.