Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-12-2017, 01:17 AM

Default Unsplendid's two new issues

Good morning, everyone!

We are twice as pleased as usual to announce the double launch of two issues of Unsplendid. Have a look around and enjoy!

Issue 6.3
Poetry by Chad Abushanab, Noh Anothai, Charles Baudelaire (tr. Ryan Wilson), Melissa Cannon, Cara Dees, Denise Duhamel, Rob Griffith, Siân B. Griffiths, Amanda Gunn, Horace (tr. Ryan Wilson), Sujata Iyengar, Hilary S. Jacqmin, Anita Olivia Koester, Michelle Lin, Jennie Malboeuf, Chad Parmenter and Thomas Zimmerman. Prose by Ned Balbo. Paintings by Cara Enteles.

Issue 7.1
Poetry by Anon. (tr. David Ben-Merre), Erinn Batykefer, David Ben-Merre, Christian Detisch, Louis Maraj, Kat Meads, Jenny Montgomery, Mary Moore, Rick Mullin, Jennifer Perrine, Sunthorn Phu (tr. Noh Anothai), Hannah Louise Poston, David Southward, Rebecca Starks, Jacob Strautmann, Nathanael Tagg, Judith Terzi, Katie Vagnino, Elizabeth Vrenios, Sara Wainscott. Iambic tetrameter password-poems by Tony Barnstone, Esther Greenleaf Mürer, Chris O'Carroll, Freeman Rogers, and Ryan Wilson. Prose by Jacob Strautmann. Photography by Jon Horvath.

Unsplendid
An online journal of poetry in received and nonce forms
http://www.unsplendid.com
Unread 02-12-2017, 12:08 PM

Hooray! Both issues non-unsplendid!
Unread 02-12-2017, 12:33 PM

Very happy to have Unsplendid back!
Unread 02-12-2017, 09:06 PM

I loved this bit from Douglas Basford's editorial in issue 7.1:

Quote:
Wanting to nip "political poetry" in the bud, a colleague of mine at a previous institution was fond of quoting Robert Frost's famous dictum that poetry should concern grief—not grievance. There is some power in this line, of course, but it rings hollow at times, and even Frost himself, that great lovable self-fabulist, wrote poetry that was quite political—at times resentful of the New Deal, at others competitively anti-Soviet—though most often in an indirect or figurative manner.

The other thing, I have to say, about the aforementioned former colleague is that he was willfully blind to, blissfully unaware of, or perfectly content to know just how much grief and grievance he ended up touching off in not a few people.
[Edited to say: Perhaps I should clarify--I took the second quoted paragraph as a timely and eloquent reminder that I should endeavor not to be that guy.]
Unread 02-13-2017, 04:54 PM

One of my favorite venues alive! Thanks for posting this. Something to get me through the daily barrage.

Siham
Unread 02-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Thank you so much, all four of you, Esther, Andrew, Julie, and Siham, for the warm welcome back and the high praise of the keen work we've assembled! We are very happy indeed to be resuming our efforts...

Have a good afternoon, all!
Doug
Unread 04-01-2018, 09:06 PM

Any word on whether or not Unsplendid will have another batch of publications?
Unread 12-13-2018, 04:28 PM

Does anyone know if they are still in business? I sent them something on Submittable months ago and it still says "Received" (rather than "In Progress"), and the email that I sent has not yet been opened.
Unread 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Bob,

For what it's worth: A few months ago, I notice an error (undoubtedly my fault) in the Spanish text of one of the poems the translation of which they published years ago. I have sent two or three emails pointing out the error over the past few months and have had no response.

David R.

Last edited by David Rosenthal; 12-13-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Unread 12-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Hmm. They really should take down their submission guidelines and their Submittable page if they are not actually considering submissions. Wasting people's time and tying up their poems under false pretenses isn't cool. Would it kill them to post a notice saying that they aren't considering submissions at the moment?