Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-10-2019, 11:50 PM

[Response to a post that no longer exists]

Last edited by Quincy Lehr; 10-11-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Unread 10-10-2019, 11:52 PM

[Response to a post that no longer exists.]

Last edited by Quincy Lehr; 10-11-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Unread 10-11-2019, 01:22 AM

Hi Julie (post#30)

I take all those points and they're as well argued as ever. To be clear, in the paragraph that you quoted I went on to say

Quote:
It's undeniably unpleasant, and the weird tone of (the original post) still baffles me.
so I wasn't trying to defend the phrase, as I'm sure you know. So sorry to hear about your cousin.

So much is tone, context and intention. And charity, if someone says something less than correct in anger or in the heat of debate. In this case it seemed an odd way to open a thread. Though Aaron is 'orgasmic' about the results, apparently, so y'know...as long as he's happy...

Best

Mark
Unread 10-11-2019, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Here we go AGAIN.

The thread, to begin with, had a mildly provocative premise, and there's nothing wrong with spirited debate on such a topic as our "leaders", Johnson and Trump. (We're in the same boat, after all!)

But ad hom posts are out of order, and certainly not appropriate from a "Distinguished Guest" on this site. You have been stripped of that title, Aaron; there is nothing distinguished about your behaviour and attitude from time to time.

Carry on with the discussion, everyone, ... if you think there is any point and you have something worthwhile to say, otherwise let this thread sink - to add to my nautical metaphor.

Jayne
Unread 10-11-2019, 05:01 AM

John le Carré has a new book coming out soon. Here is a sentence from it (nicked from a Guardian interview) which provides another British answer to the original question.

“It is my considered opinion that for Britain and Europe, and for liberal democracy across the entire world as a whole, Britain’s departure from the European Union in the time of Donald Trump, and Britain’s consequent unqualified dependence on the United States in an era when the US is heading straight down the road to institutional racism and neo-fascism, is an unmitigated clusterfuck bar none.”

For those who'd like to read the whole interview:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-got-away-with
Unread 10-11-2019, 06:41 AM

Germany successfully moved past Nazism, in part because it was told to, in part because it wanted to. I remain hopeful that the United States can move past the Trump presidency toward a reemergence of democratic norms. Perhaps once Trump is rotting in the prison cell he has so richly merited, along with various members of his gang.

Cheers,
John
Unread 10-11-2019, 06:52 AM

x
The rule of law is our ace in the hole and what will make our country whole again. But not without more ugliness. Trump is the type who, as he is dragged away, will set fire to things, pillage and plunder our institutions, poison our language and ravage our societal landscape and collective psyche.

Yes, there will be concessions made by those (us) who finally bring him to justice and accountability, but we will have accomplished saving our identity. It makes me think of Susan's "Dislocation" poem on metrical. We will not be the same again. But then again, we are always re-inventing ourselves.
x
x

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 10-11-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Unread 10-11-2019, 07:08 AM

Donald Trump is, I think it's apparent, a pathological narcissist. Hitler tried to bring Europe down around his ears as he fell, and i expect no less from Donald Trump.

Cheers,
John
Unread 10-11-2019, 10:55 AM

I swore off using the word “bitch” a few years back. Regardless of how it’s usage has changed over time it still has its roots as an indicator for a female dog. It still is used to insult a male by accusing him of being woman-like. What I don’t understand is trying to defend it. Life’s too short.

Johnson has his own racist small-mindedness. He didn’t need Trump for that. If GB does finally flee the EU it will be faced with a much more dangerous threat to its unique culture than anything coming from Poland or Romania or Belgium. First comes the elevator pick-ups with no mufflers carrying giant loads of Jaysus! spouting missionaries. Welcome to the US of A!!!

Last edited by John Riley; 10-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Unread 10-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
What I don’t understand is trying to defend it. Life’s too short.
Hey John. I don't think anybody really was.

I do find the subject of ever-changing language taboos fascinating. Life's never too short for writers to talk about language, surely. I'd be quite interested to hear what various Spherians' preferred profanities were, and which were off-limits and why.