Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Distinguished Guest

Default Yet more bad West Chester news...

https://twitter.com/amjuster/status/951427736740007936
Unread 01-11-2018, 08:39 AM

Whom did they appoint, Mike? I can't see the announcement.

Edited: Oh, I see your recent reply. Jesse Waters.

Last edited by Catherine Chandler; 01-11-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Unread 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Distinguished Guest

I've just gotten off the phone from a long conversation with the interim dean of WCU. I am extremely unhappy with that conversation, and the only glimmer of good news I have is that the person the interim dean hired is temporary through this year's conference.

If you care about the WCU conference, think about contacting WCU & telling them that they need to find someone committed to formal poetry to try to repair this new mess they created.

Last edited by Michael Juster; 01-11-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: adjective needed for precision
Unread 01-11-2018, 10:53 AM

There are only so many times the school can f**k up the thing before large numbers of people stop showing up. I'm not going to say I'll never go again (after all, Sam got some of us back after the whole Kim debacle), but as my email as to what in the name of Jesus they expect to do with the Justice Prize (which I was set to judge), which lacks a publisher--kind of a big deal for a book prize--I have to wonder. [Edited—it was worse than I thought.]

Over time, one of the things that I've come to appreciate the way that Mike Peich set the thing up was that it had one foot in the academic po-biz and one foot in the non-academic parallel world of workshops, writers' groups, and reading series (the Powows, Carmine St. Metrics, etc.). I wonder if that will last.

Last edited by Quincy Lehr; 01-21-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Unread 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Distinguished Guest

Quincy, you & I disagree on so many things, but I think we can safely agree that you & I--and almost none of us--appreciated Mike Peich's hard work & creative judgment as much as we should have.

I am not planning on attending.
Unread 01-11-2018, 11:41 AM

The Poetry House has been cleaned out to house temporary offices. All books and records of the Poetry Conference and Poetry Center have been placed in storage elsewhere at the university.
Unread 01-11-2018, 03:58 PM

I looked up Jesse Waters as well. And I suppose this is his own description:

Runner-up for the Iowa Review Fiction Prize, finalist in the Glimmer Train 2003 Poetry Open, The Davoren Hanna International Poetry Contest and the 2010 Atlanta Review International Poetry Contest, Jesse Waters is a recipient of a 2003 NC Artists' Grant to attend the Vermont Studio Center, and a winner of the 2001 River Styx International Poetry Contest. Currently a Visiting Assistant Professor in the English Dept. here at Elizabethtown College, Jesse's fiction, poetry and non-fiction work has been nominated for multiple Pushcart Prizes, and has appeared in such journals as 88: A Journal of Contemporary Poetry, The Adirondack Review, Coal Hill Review, The Cortland Review, Cimarron Review, Concrete Wolf, Iowa Review, Plainsongs, Magma, River Styx, Slide, Story Quarterly, Southeast Review, Sycamore Review and others. His first book of poems, Human Resources, was released by Inkbrush Press in February of 2011.

Surely housing other offices in the space and also storing all the materials elsewhere means the end--right? There's no way to make that sound like something good.

And I'd still like to know who would be the best person to contact.
Unread 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Michael, thanks for the alert. Very sorry to hear this--bad for the school and the conference. I've only been twice (under Kim's reign, once to be on a panel, once to run one) but enjoyed both meeting people and going to talks. And I know that many people love it and attend regularly.

Who do you think is the right person to contact to lodge protest and suggestions?
Unread 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM

West Chester Redux.

I've never attended the conference, but I have followed the machinations swirling around it in recent years. One version of an old maxim comes to mind: Don't worry about that dead horse, just keep loading the wagon.

Perhaps the wise course of action for poetic freight handlers is to cease in their efforts and just walk away.

Richard
Unread 01-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Distinguished Guest

Richard:

I can't quite bring myself to agree or disagree---I'm torn.

Mike

PS everyone: I'm heading out shortly for a week off the grid, so please don't read meaning into silence. Thanks!