Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-02-2018, 12:28 AM

Hi Jayne,

I have been coming here since the last century. I lost a couple of years when I came out of the closet with my own name.

I am grateful to Alex, Eratosphere and Eratosphereans on many levels. This is why I return time and again.

I have had numerous sabbaticals for various reasons. Disagreements over over-zealous moderation, my muse in drought, my life in hell, my health a fond hope, not exhaustive but enough for a general idea.

Regards,

Jan
Unread 06-03-2018, 01:02 PM

When I joined Eratosphere, I did not foresee all of the benefits it would provide. I was isolated in rural Minnesota among people who mainly did not write poetry or, if they did, tended to write free verse, so I had no one to show my formal verse to. I expected to get some good advice on revision, and I did, but what I really benefited most from was the advice about which poets to read, which journals to submit to, which conference (at the time, just one) focused on formal verse, as well as being introduced into debates about meter, rhyme, and other issues, from a variety of points of view. I did not foresee that politics and other issues would also be part of the debate, and that has been a mixed blessing at times. But I am very glad to have had a chance to meet many of the people I first got to know through this board. Formal verse is such an esoteric passion that I still tend to feel ignored or condescended to by a lot of poets that I meet in other contexts. Here at least I don't feel that I have to start every conversation by defending the choice to write in rhyme and meter. I'm still learning from what I hear here. And I am entertained and inspired by what the other poets post.

Susan
Unread 06-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Susan,

Your response to my original query, as in this thread's title, is beautifully put. It's exactly how I felt - and still do. Thank you for expressing your views; you are one of the people I'm very glad to have met through my involvement with Eratosphere (along with your sister, Mary, ...who is much closer geographically!).

David R,
...the Sphere will always be deep in my heart, as corny as that sounds.
It's not corny at all, David; on the contrary, it's a lovely sentiment, which I share.

...And Jan,
Take as many sabbaticals as you need - but always keep coming back, please

All this feedback is very welcome, and useful. Thank you, everyone.

Jayne
Unread 06-03-2018, 05:48 PM

What lovely posts on this thread.
Unread 06-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Mike, we cross-posted.

YES, indeed!

Jayne
Unread 06-04-2018, 03:23 AM

It’s been many years since I last posted anything of my own at Eratosphere and almost as long since I commented on anyone else’s posting, though I still look in from time to time to see how things are going along. During my most active period, between November 2001 and the late noughties, I gained a great deal from Eratosphere. I gained most, as I discovered, less from reading the comments of others on my own poems, and much more from working out what I could usefully say about the draft poems of others, a view others have expressed. The process of commenting reflected back on my own work in useful but often non-specific ways. I continue to write verse, which I generally share directly with a few close literary friends. I rarely submit to magazines now.

Thank you to Alex and his helpers down the years for setting up and maintaining Eratosphere! And best wishes for their writing to all those who are currently active!

Clive Watkins
Unread 06-04-2018, 01:20 PM

Hi Jayne,
I appreciate the dear, conscientious people dedicated to helping each other write better poems. I first learned of Eratosphere from Dana Gioia's book, Disappearing Ink. I spent about a year commenting on other people's work before I began posting excerpts of my Alfred epic. What excellent and useful commentary I received, as well as support for my unusual project! Eventually I got to the point where I didn't think I could finish it, stay active on the Sphere, and keep my day job, so I have been away for a while. The poem is now finished and I am looking for a publisher. So I hope to be back as work allows. Best wishes and thanks to all! Bill
Unread 06-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Why?

Dear Jayne,
I come here to read, and think, poetry. Here There Be Poets-- of many colors. But, my own mental, physical, and spiritual short comings have many times-- kept me away. As long as you fine people keep your doors open, I'll find my way back, somehow, someway; till death finds me.... or some Eternal, Poetical Entity, takes us all to Paridise.

Sincerely,
Stephen
Unread 06-04-2018, 05:42 PM

Hold the bus for me Stephen...