Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-07-2003, 05:58 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Alan here in KW, transcribing Tim this time. (He hates my laptop's keyboard!)

We have run out of time, since taking dictation is a slow process for a non-stenographer. Richard will send his comments on the four remaining poems, and we will post those after our return to ND (March 3). He will also respond to some of the questions. Here is his response to Kevin Corbett:

"It is true that my great-grandfather and grandfather on my mother's side were journalists, the former starting forty Democratic-leaning small-town papers in Republican towns all over the land, the latter working as an editor for the Baltimore Sun. I edited my high school and college papers, but by the time I returned from the war, it seemed to me that aside from a few large city dailies, all the writing was boilerplate, being done by the wire-services.

"I feel very emphatically that journalism is no fit subject for undergraduate study. Those years should be devoted to the arts and sciences. It may be that a post-graduate course in journalism might assist in securing a position, but I doubt that it will teach anyone anything about writing."

It strikes me that some of the reflections on Wilbur have real literary merit, and we are interested in assembling them, presenting them to the Wlburs, and possibly even seeking publication. Additional posts would be welcome on the "reflections" thread, particularly if they are of the caliber of Catherine Tufariello's.

Tim
Unread 02-07-2003, 01:27 PM

Ouch. Along with one of my poems being called vomit-inducing, this is amounting to a rough day. Well, although I appreaciate Mr. Wilbur's advice, I'm going to have to say that he and I have philosophical differences on this point. Oh well. Maybe it wasn't a good question in the first place. Still, I appreatiate it.
Unread 02-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Able Muse/Eratosphere Sponsor Appreciation!

Great reading and a high point for Eratosphere. Many thanks to Tim and Alan for arranging this and to Richard for devoting the time and effort to it. It's a fine thing to witness mastery in action.

John
Unread 02-09-2003, 08:58 AM

Yes, I thank Tim and Alan as well for their
efforts. The few exchanges with Wilbur
have been very enlightening, and I see the step
by step logic his mind takes to go where it needs to.
Maybe 'logic' isn't the best word, but art does
take conscious effort is what I mean.

Thanks Tim and Alan and the Wilburs.

TJ