Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Other than the Bake-off and Mr. Wilbur's appearance, nothing has happened on this board since I stepped down, and this grieves me. It is an open forum now.

I have an idea, and I'd like some reaction. Many of us are heavily involved in public speaking, and I for one, would dearly love to hear speeches from the likes of Landrum, Espaillat, Mason, etc. which I cannot attend. I think we should start posting our speeches here. Not for critique, of course, but just as a formal way of sharing our thoughts with another. Not lit crit appropriate for Discerning Eye, just what we say to civic groups, colleges, our neighbors. I realize many of these are off-the-cuff, but sometimes very formal remarks are prepared, and I'd love to see them posted.

If people think this is a good idea, I'll post a speech given to the Assembly of God, the only megachurch in North Dakota. Talk about Daniel in the lions' den! It is largely verse from the Bible or workshoped at the Deep End.

Unread 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Good idea, Tim. I suggest that we adhere to a strict rule that discussion and debate be taken immediately elsewhere --maybe we can even disable the "reply" button.
RPW
Unread 06-05-2007, 07:07 PM

I think the idea opens the door to an enormous amount of gasbaggery. This is exactly why we have discouraged members from posting their own stuff on Mastery. What I fear will happen in this case is that, for every Rhina Espaillat or David Mason who posts something sensible (assuming these modest and busy people would want to), we will soon end up with five cases of Arthur W. SelfImpressed and Antonia McLoverly yammering endlessly about themselves, reciting from their blogs. Sorry, Tim, but - particularly if we also incorporate Richard's suggestion - what you are really describing is a Pontification Board.

I would love to see the Lariat continue, but suggest we follow previous paths which involved sharing and involvement. The previous attempt to open a discussion with a poetry magazine editor got off to a bad start because the chemistry between M. L. McCarthy and many of our members turned out to be something less than ideal, but why not try again with somebody who might be a better fit. Jerry Cambridge? Kate Benedict? Maz Griffiths? Paul Stevens?

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Cantor (edited June 05, 2007).]
Unread 06-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Tim and Richard, I'm afraid that I agree with Michael.

Now this is a status lowering suggestion but how about letting members take turns as guest critic? To understand their thinking in more depth why not allow one of the unwashed to crit a series of submitted poems?

This could rotate and vengeance is mine saith the lord.

Of course it may lead to tears before bedtime.
Janet

PS: I think functioning editors should be excluded. They are already selecting work and don't need more pressure and it would cause bad feelings.

**As a gradual shift may I suggest the celebrity member of Eratosphere,
Gail White?
That's if Gail is willing to take on such a time-consuming task?

[This message has been edited by Janet Kenny (edited June 05, 2007).]
Unread 06-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Michael and Janet, I think you raise reasonable objections, and I withdraw the suggestion. As soon as Gail's Dorn Prize Book is available, I shall ask her to join us here. I have already asked Kate Benedict, and she has declined. Paul Stevens is willing to join us here and discuss net publication, but that will have to wait for the completion of SCR III. I am also trying to track down Lee Gurga for another session on Haiku.
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Distinguished Guest

I admit I'm prejudiced, 'cause this is my baby, but might I suggest that since we've done genres on the Lariat board, we do a forum on poetry translation at some point. It might encourage people who've never tried to give it a shot, and there are some really talented translators on Erato doing varied and interesting work. And there's plenty of good translators out there who might agree to mentor.

What d'ya think?
Unread 06-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Marion, I think it's an excellent idea, and Charles Martin, perhaps the preeminent translator of Classical Verse in this country, has long since agreed to lead such a workshop. After West Chester I'll get back to him.