Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-01-2001, 02:18 PM
Lariat Emeritus

Lately this has been the sleepiest Board on the 'Sphere, and I want to begin my tenure as its moderator with controversy. Po finished this poem only three days ago, so it's decades too early to pronounce it a masterpiece. I'm posting it here for three reasons: 1) It has received inadequate attention on the Metrical Board. 2) I believe it may well be the most important poem ever posted there. 3) I believe it to be one of the most impressive and ambitious poems written by any of my contemporaries.

Woman In The Wind

Sheets of rusted corrugated iron
clatter in the gusts against its walls,
the black house mossed with memories of childhood
that passed like sunsets blushed across the kyles.
A teenaged bride, she wed her next-door neighbor;
one gateway and she shed her virgin blood.
Today that gate lies fallen from its hinges,
half-sunk in a half a lifetime’s puddled mud
and only washing-line connects the gate-posts.
Three shirts with arms extended tug and flap -
a man, two boys. She sees three crucifixions
and thinks of all the prayers and benedictions
they've counted on to save them from mishap.

Their row-boat rounds the Cregan to the Sound
of Raasay out of Camastianavaig Bay.
Black cormorants, like mourners, watch them pass
behind Ben Tianavaig then fade away.
At tide-change there’s a hush as waters still.
Red cod in congregations prey and gulp
the eels that undulate like blowing rags
as hand-lines search their sanctuaries of kelp.
Clouds glisten, haloed by a hidden sun.
The hesitating brightness creaks like oars.
Then wingless shadows fly across the heather,
gray waves of swelling rain bring foul weather
as storms begin to sweep the open moors.

This morning and each morning since she married
she’s borne the water-buckets from the burn
to wash away the woad of savage living
expecting neither respite nor return.
From unrelenting slime and sweat and smearings,
she keeps the gate and dares the coming squalls,
extracts the wind's last spit-less drying breath;
but now both rain and iron rattle the walls.
In headscarf, tallowed boots, and threadbare coat
she wears for milking and when going for peat
she pulls the clothes-pegs, hoping that it brightens;
instead the cowl of gloom draws in and tightens,
and rainspots on the clothes seal her defeat.

Now serried whitecaps charge the assembled leagues
of shoreline cliffs then crash like cracks of doomsday
and rise as giant clamshells on the rocks;
though bow to blow, four oars can make no headway.
They slash their grounded lines and blisters tear
from callused hands; and limbs and torsos, wood -
one streaming sinewed beast impelled by fear -
resist the pounded Cregan's beatitude.
No bell, just stony silence from the kirk
where ministers tell all they’re unforgiven
until they die, then say they’ve gone to heaven,
cold comfort as the combers go berserk.

She steps inside and fights to shut the door.
Outside the ravens huddle under haystacks,
and seagulls switchback into battering gales.
The iron sheeting flies. She finds some sacks
to caulk the draughty door, then lifts the wash
and squeezes hard to feel if it's still moist
with water hauled before her men-folk rose;
then grasps these family icons to her breast,
damp armfuls of limp empty cloth; and knows,
as surely as the sun will set forever
beyond the kyles, as surely as the kirk
will keep its foregone verdicts under cover,
that, whether she must face a widow’s grief,
or they return and she smiles with relief,
until she dies, one of two hells awaits her.

Unread 04-02-2001, 08:15 AM

Hello, Tim. You've certainly stirred some controversy for me, since I don't think this poem is ready for the Mastery board. Look at that overextended sentence in the final stanza. Does the sun ever set forever? And what about that parenthetical clause in the antepenultimate line? Awkward stuff. I think you ought to draw the line at print-published work by well-known contemporary poets. It's not quite time to begin compiling the Eratosphere anthology.

Alan
Unread 04-02-2001, 09:14 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Alan, I agree that the extended sentence should be broken, perhaps twice. But, "the sun sets forever/ beyond the kyles" tells me it sets forever in the West, not that it won't rise in the East.

Given the paucity of comment, I can only assume that my Po posting is not controversial. I agree with you about published work by well-known poets, but I wanted to make an exception for a very special poem. Sam Gwynn asked if it could be Gerry Cambridge posting pseudonymously, but I told Sam that Gerry's ear isn't yet this good!
Unread 04-03-2001, 03:15 AM

A fine poem, and worthy of closer attention. Over at the Gazebo, there is a special section, "Noted on the Gazebo," for poems that appeared there that deserve special notice. Perhaps we might institute something like that here?

I think this kind of post is exactly the sort of thing Esther Cameron had in mind in her thread under the Discerning Eye. Sometimes it is good to lift a poem from the workshop environment (where the temptation is to look for nits to pick), in order to appreciate it more fully.

Thanks for re-posting this.

Alicia
Unread 04-03-2001, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Murphy:
Lately this has been the sleepiest Board on the 'Sphere, and I want to begin my tenure as its moderator with controversy. Po finished this poem only three days ago, so it's decades too early to pronounce it a masterpiece. I'm posting it here for three reasons: 1) It has received inadequate attention on the Metrical Board. 2) I believe it may well be the most important poem ever posted there. 3) I believe it to be one of the most impressive and ambitious poems written by any of my contemporaries.

Not bad execution in the meter but to be frank--this poem is daytime soap opera. And it has the standard ending. But what is ever new in poetry? The question is--Is it well written?

Woman In The Wind

clatter in the gusts against its walls,
the black house mossed with memories of childhood
that passed like sunsets blushed across the kyles.
Is the above a sentence? Does it have a verb? What exactly does it say anyway? The moss on the house is like memories? The moss represents memories? Is the poet attempting to say--The black house [IS] mossed with memories that passed like sunsets??? But what does that mean? Memories that have passed like sunsets, one assumes, are memories that are forgotten. The house is mossed with "forgotten" memories?? Who knows about these memories if they are forgotten? Wait I get it! The black house [IS] mossed with memories of [A] childhood that passed like sunsets! Now this makes better sense--except that it is still senseless. The house she is living in is covered in memories as thick as the mose that actually covers it--except we find out later in the poem she is not living in the house she grew up in. Her childhood house is next door. Alright--forget that point. The poet is saying that this house evokes memories of a childhood as beautiful as sunsets. Whew!! A close reading does work! Compression can be confusing!

one gateway and she shed her virgin blood.
Isn't "virgin blood" one of those overly used phrases that good poets try to avoid? This would be a better poem if we just left her "virgin blood" out of it, don't you agree?

Today that gate lies fallen from its hinges,
half-sunk in a half a lifetime's puddled mud
Gate-posts are about three feet apart. This is got to be the shortest washing line in the world (not to mention one of the lowest--lots of clothes dragging in that mud.) Wait, I get it--a piece of wash line now serves the function of a gate and the fallen gate is being used as a walkway across the mud puddle. But what does "half a lifetime's puddled mud" mean? Certainly you can have a puddle of mud but "puddled mud" implies that the mud flowed from different places (for half a lifetime!) to arrive at that spot. That is certainly not how this type of mud puddle is formed. OK when you think about it these lines are descriptive and convey a good image but "puddled mud" is incorrect.

Wait a second, there IS a washline around here somewhere! So the ever-so-low wash line between the gateposts is not being used as a gate but is being used as a washline? I thought I had this straight in my mind but I guess I don't understand exactly what the poet is describing. And is the woman seeing three "crucifixions" or three "crucifix". The poet is saying that the lady sees three shirts and sees her husband and sons symbolically undergoing crucifixion right in front of her eyes. That works I guess but this foreshadowing seems a little heavy handed. Dare I call this melodramatic? Will the banshee scream next?

Well, the banshee doesn't scream but the "black cormorants like mourners" put in an appearance.

At tide-change there's a hush as waters still.
Now the religious symbolism is starting to get out of hand. The cod aren't in schools but "congregations" and they "prey (I get it! Pray!) and gulp the eels who live in "sanctuaries of kelp". What point does all this religious symbolism serve since it is not in any character's mind (to tell how the character thinks) but only in the poet's mind (telling us how the poet thinks?). Unfortunately this is intermixed with a non-religious simile--"blowing rags". Being somewhat familar with eels they do sometimes remain in one place by undulating against the tide but unfortunately our poet has just told us that "at tide-change there's a hush as waters still" therefore there is "currently" (get the pun!) no tide for the eels to "undulate" against. And eels are smart enough to skaddle if a "congregation" of cod came to "prey" on them. Eels bury themselves in mud. (At least the cod are not being compared to a mini-van of Jahovah Witnesses come to "pray" on their victum.) The hand-lines are introduced to foreshadow the fishermen that hold them one guesses. And hand-lines don't search, they sort of drop down and then hang out hoping something passing will stop and be interested. Admittedly the fishermen may be searching for fish WITH the handlines but the handlines once in the water are not active but reactive. Poetically speaking the feeling I get from the above lines is that I am looking into a tiny aquarium where everything is artifically bunched together (not real life) and the religious symbolism is like the little man in the diving suit by the treasure chest etc.

The hesitating brightness creaks like oars.
Light making sound? Someone tell Einstien about this--but I guess you can do anything you want with words. And this is poetry not prose.

Since the shadows are on the ground and wingless they would run.

I am sure there are many moors in many different parts of the country many being swept by a storm but a single storm seems the concern of this poem. I suggest "storm begins" instead of "storms begin".

she's borne the water-buckets from the burn
Return? Her return on the wash water would be a little cleanliness unless you mean that when she goes to the burn to get the water she doesnt expect to come back alive (return)? (You know, if you are writing this about Scotland are you aware that the whole country has been electrified for over half a century? And they have got sewers too. And they have had wells for longer than that and most places have city water. In what year is this poem taking place?? There are sheets of old corrogated iron lying around and that would have to place the time after the turn of the nineteenth century. My best guess would be 1920's or 1930's.)

but now both rain and iron rattle the walls.
The eight lines above are about getting water to wash clothes, washing them, and putting them out to dry between the never ending squalls. I am sure the phrase "the wind's last spit-less drying breath" seemed like a good idea at the time it was written but dont you think it might be just a little overblown? I mean we are talking about clothes on a laundry line here. Why not bring in big cheeked Boreas and have him blow-dry their undies? (But I suspect that slobbering Boreas is already here in this poem.) And the corrogated iron leaning against the walls might rattle but unless the walls are also made of corrogated iron (it was used for roofs) the walls themselves won't rattle. (Since the black house is mossed I thought its walls were stone.)

"The cowl of gloom"?--"Seal her defeat"? (Dammit she is just taking in the laundry)--well you are starting to tone down your rhetoric a little.

Doomsday only has one crack-----one crack, one dawn, one doomsday. Sorry.

I take it the wave hitting the rocks causes it to turn to foam and spray which shoots forward climbing the rock even higher temporarily forming "clamshells" of white before all falls back into the ocean. Alright, I can buy into it.

bow to blow=they are heading into the wind

I am confused. They were rowing while they still had their anchors out? A ground line to me would be a mooring line--a line from a boat to land but that can't be right. So an anchor line? Prehaps you mean trawl lines? But they were fishing with hand lines? "Grounded lines" seems a technical term I am unfamiliar with.

"The pounded Cregan's beatitude"??? Offhand I don't know what "the Cregan" is but it is being pounded while in a state of bliss. This sounds very S&M to me. The "streaming sinewed beast" is afraid of this and I don't blame him.

where ministers tell all they're unforgiven
until they die, then say they've gone to heaven,
I sort of like this.

I dont know enough about bird behavior to comment here. I do notice that in the time it took her to walk from the gate to her house raindrops on her wash have turned into a battering gale. Well, this is poetry.

The sun setting forever--awkwardly said.

foregone verdicts=previously drowned fishermen--I had to stop and think about this one. One certainly hopes the kirk will manage to keep their dead bodies covered up.

that, whether she must face a widow's grief,
or they return and she smiles with relief,
"Smiles" should be "smile". (The comma after "relief" and the line break are probably sufficient to keep most readers from thinking "until she dies" modifies "she smiles with relief". "Facing a widow's grief" or having to "smile until she dies" would certainly be two terrible hells to choose from.)

There is much to like here but this is not a great poem. It is filled with "hothouse" imagery. A lot of the lines don't make good sense. To call attention to it by bringing it to this board asks us to look at it closely. Great poem can be exaimined closely and wind up being savored--the little extra bits the poet threw in discovered and appreciated. Poor poems when examined closely often invoke emotions unintended by the poet. That this poem was brought to this board in the first placd indicates a lack of critical ability in the moderator. Anyway that is one "man's" opinion.

Laughing Outloud

[This message has been edited by laughing outloud (edited April 11, 2001).]
Unread 04-03-2001, 08:43 PM

Tim,
Yes, indeed, I applaud this thread. I guess we don't have to justify our choice as the canonical selection of the century in order to hold fast what has moved us.

Some of "Laughing Out Loud"'s criticisms had occurred to me. But I agree it's a moving poem, and a vivid picture. I wonder if Porridgeface has taken on the challenge of describing the life of a working-class mother in this country today.

"Woman in the Wind" inspired me to write another poem (which is one test of a good poem, IMHO).

Thanks, Time and Porridgeface!

Esther

THE MAY
(based on an incident in *Lark Rise to Candleford*)

"All my life," she'd say, "I have supped sorrow."
And no one understood. Her kin were poor,
But all knew what it was to scrape and borrow,

To work and want. She had no less nor more.
Her melancholy lasted till she lost
Her husband, then her sons in the Great War.

And then she grew serene. (Can griefs exhaust
Grief?) In springtime she would gather may,
Bring the white boughs indoors, although she crossed

Her neighbor's superstition, for they say
The may means death. "But all I loved are dead;
Let me look on beauty." So the spray

Stood in her front room, lovely beyond dread.

Unread 04-04-2001, 06:54 AM

See, Tim? If you post a work-in-progress from the metrical boards, you'll just have a metrical board discussion over here. The point of "Mastery" was to consider poems beyond the reach of change and poets beyond the reach of our comments.

Yet I can see Alicia's point as well, that a segment of the board could be devoted to post of striking pieces from the long lists elsewhere. And that may as well happen here for the present.

Anyway, LOL, over some of lol's comments. While I think he is a bit tendentious about the moss, I agree with him about "virgin blood," the improperly visualized washline, and the "creaking light." "Spit-less" is awful, and I complained about it in the poem's original draft, called "Lady in Waiting." I would also note that "seal" can be an unintended pun, since it could be taken as a play on the noun. Seals might well be swimming these waters.

I am not bothered by the religious symbolism embedding itself in the place as described by the narrator. The people of the place are so imbued with religion that they really would tend to see its images everywhere. I am also untroubled by "storms." In high latitude locations, convective activity forms on a very small scale, and a turbulent day may feature many brief storms, with brief gaps between.

What drew Tim to this poem was its sound. Porridge works with a very colorful sound-palette (yes, I'm mixing senses in my metaphor). Tim is a sucker for luscious sounds (maybe I can incorporate all five senses). But Tim is also an author of extremely terse verses. Here he admires someone whose work is very unlike his own. However florid, this poem strives to do something more than the pallid, self-referential lyrics we see too often on the boards. With some further tuning it will be very fine indeed.

Alan Sullivan

Unread 04-06-2001, 03:50 PM
Able Muse/Eratosphere Sponsor Appreciation!

Hello,all. I wasn’t sure whether it was appropriate for me to enter this thread at first, but now, with the critique that has been posted, I think it is. Sorry for taking so long.

Tim, thanks for the huge vote of confidence, which means a lot to me. However, it’s probably a good thing that the rest of the thread balances it out. My feet are light, but still reach the ground. Anyway, you seem to have succeeded in stirring some controversy.

As Alan says, this thread has become an extension of the critique. At the same time, because this poem has been singled out, I think I’ve had the benefit of unusually strong and detailed critique, especially given that, relative to most postings, it’s a long poem. As a result I’ve revised. I think the proper thing to do is to post the revision back at the top of the thread on the Metrical board, which I’ve now done, but by editing so as not to take it back to the top of that board. However, I’ll deal with the critique here, where it occurred.

On general commentary, thanks Alicia and Esther. I know the idea of a “select” area of the board would raise new issues and represent another challenge for the moderators and participants, but thanks for raising it. I leave it to the administrators to consider it.

Esther, I haven’t tried a modern version of this, but it’s an interesting idea. (I’ve tried doing that sort of thing before – taking a poem about the past and doing a modern one on the same theme.) I enjoyed your poem. It reminded me of a song – “Hard Times” – perhaps because that song uses “sup sorrow” in the second line. The idea of taking risks because you have nothing left to lose unrolls into a host of social issues, and you place it neatly in the context of beauty and mortality.

Alan, thanks for your comment on sound. I do find that, in a poem like this, I'm working with four constraints - sense, meter, rhyme, and "sound". By "sound" I mean internal rhyme, assonance, consonance, and something else that seems associated with music and that might be called "resonance". I know that I'm disposed to compromise other constraints in pursuit of "sound".

LOL, I really appreciate the time you must have spent on this and the excellent, frank, and detailed critique you have given. Alan, I also greatly appreciate your incisive review. In view of their lengths and close relationship, I think the best way of dealing with these critiques is to post the revision below with responses inserted as comments.

Woman In The Wind (Revised)

clatter in the gusts against its walls -
the black house mossed with memories of childhood.
It passed like sunsets blushed across the kyles.

{I’ve broken the sentence now. LOL, your conclusion is almost right. This house evokes memories of childhood. That childhood passed in the same way as the sun disappears every evening at sunset. I note your interpretation problem about whether she’s living in this house, but I don’t think that’s implied and, as you say, it’s clarified later, so I’ve left it. This is also scene-setting and “blushed” is a lead-in to the next line.}

one gateway and she crossed her line of blood.

{LOL and Alan, I had three alternatives for this line:

“One gateway and she crossed two lines of blood”,
“One gateway and she crossed her line of blood”, and
“One gateway and she shed her virgin blood”.

I realized that “virgin blood” is heavily used, but mainly in association with sacrifice or violence. Here it is used to suggest that in her teens she was thrown into the world of marital duty and child-bearing. While the other two alternatives provided a metaphorical word-play on “cross”, I thought “virgin blood” was the most strongly related to the theme. In view of the feedback, I’ve changed it.}

Today that field-gate lies unhinged and fallen,
half-sunk in a half a lifetime’s puddled mud

{LOL and Alan, the gate in question is a gate between two fields. I don’t know the exact dimensions, but gates connecting pasture are wide to allow cows through – of the order of 12 to 16 feet. In addition, in the highlands, the fencing between fields often consists of the old dry-stone dyke, which may be only 3 feet high, with a pair of barbed-wire strands above it to stop sheep scrambling over, for a total height of close to 5 feet. Posts are erected at gateways to hold the barbed wire and gates are attached to these. So the posts can be up to 5 feet high and 16 feet apart. In addition, the area is question has few trees, so washing-lines are put up in any expedient place. As long as the clothes are off the ground it’s OK. Because of the lack of suitable locations, each possible location is used, so that washing may be hung on a number of short spans, this being the case here. I've revised to mention "field-gate".

As for puddled mud, LOL, the track through the gate has been so trampled by cattle that, instead of being firm and possibly graveled, as it would have been when the gate was first erected, it has been churned into mud with puddles on it. She has now had two children – half her lifetime has passed. When she was a child, the track was maintained. Now the gate has fallen, implying neglect – in fact, her parents are dead and the black house is ruined (the moss foreshadowing the implication of neglect). She can use the gateposts for washing because the gateway is no longer used.}

{LOL, the shape of the shirts makes them look like people and their posture, with arms extended along the line to better secure them in the wind, is like that of people being crucified, hence “crucifixions”. This connection reminds her of the extent to which they depend on their religion to protect them from the dangers of going to sea.}

{LOL, this line is supposed to allow the reader to infer that the Cregan is a headland.}

At tide-change there’s a hush as waters still.

{LOL, the method of fishing used here is to troll hand-lines at a slow rowing pace. They’re baited with eels. The eels are dead, but they’re being pulled. Sometimes the crofters would skin them to let out the scent.

In relation to the religious symbolism, I’d like to pick up on your comment that the poem has the standard soap opera ending. By that I believe you mean that it finishes with “What will happen next? Tune in next week to find out!” There is that element, but it’s not one of the two main points that are expressed in the last three lines. The first main point is the hopelessness of the woman’s situation, which Esther alludes to in her reference to “working-class mother”. The second is that, while religion is present in every aspect of life in this community, its promises are questionable and do nothing to help her while she’s alive. The religious imagery in the water is there, as Alan indicates, to give the idea that the force of religion permeates every aspect of this place.}

(LOL, the “blowing rags” simile is an allusion back to the washing on the line.
The hand-lines search in the sense of being trolled through the water.}

The brightness weakens to the creak of oars.

{LOL and Alan, the idea I’m trying to get at here is the brightness is under pressure of being ousted by the coming storms and is starting to weaken. Creaking is a sign of weakness. And the oars creak. I’ve changed the wording and picked up an internal rhyme at the same time.}

{LOL, the feeling of having a cloud shadow sweep over you on moorland is fast and smooth. I see it as more like a bird skimming waves than something running.}

{Alan has mentioned the use of storms in the plural. It would be easy to incorporate the singular and I chose plural deliberately. In open island landscapes you can often see more than one patch of rain coming at a time.}

she’s borne the water-buckets from the burn

{LOL, this seems primitive, but it could have happened any time last century up to about 1970. That was when fishing from rowing boats for the winter’s supply of salt fish and lack of running water had become rare in the crofting villages of the Scottish highlands. Until then, you could find both situations without too much difficulty.}

{The “return” is appreciation from the family for her labor, as in a “return on investment”. She is taken for granted.}

{Alan, I did make a change, admittedly, not a big one, in response to your last comment – from “unspitted” to “spit-less”. The reason I use this word is that, at the first sign of rain in these communities people would say “It’s spitting. We have to take in the washing.” There may be a cultural difference here. In Scotland, “spitting” is a common word to describe the first drops at the commencement of a rain shower. There’s also an oral connection with “breath”, but I’m not sure that it’s fortunate. (Btw, it’s not intended to refer to fear – the men are not scared spit-less”.) }

but now both rain and iron rattle on walls.

{LOL, thanks for the comment on “rattle”. You’re right. I should have had a preposition like “against” for this to work, and I cut corners for meter. I’ve now tried a fix.}

{LOL, the “cowl of gloom” likens the darkening sky to a monk’s hood and combines the ideas of the weather closing in with allusion to older forms of religion.

LOL and Alan, I’ve left “seal her defeat”. I just can’t see a reader associating this with the animal. I like “seal” because of its inherent paradox – rain usually infiltrates seals.}

{LOL, you raise an interesting point about “cracks”. I wrestled with it, but have decided to stay put. Yes, doomsday has only one crack. And, yes, two crashes that resemble that crack, still resemble one crack, singular. However, I think there is a sense in which the plural is OK – each crash resembles one hypothetical occurrence of the crack of doomsday - and this admits the plural. I think the singular reads less naturally, so I’m prepared to stretch a little here.}

{LOL, your interpretation of “clamshell” is right. Breakers on a rocky shore look like clamshells from a distance.}

{LOL, the “grounded lines” are the hand-lines. When they have to row into the wind, the boat slows and the trolled lines fall to the sea-bed and get stuck. They have to cut them to move forward. It must be done fast because each missed oar-stroke means lost headway and the danger of being swung around by the wind.}

{LOL, as noted earlier, the Cregan is a rocky headland and “beatitude” reflects its immunity from the perils around it, while also continuing the allusion to religion.}

where ministers tell all they’re unforgiven
until they die, then say they’ve gone to heaven,

{LOL, the wind rose and she let the washing stay out until the rain started, which was when the storm reached her home. She starts bringing in the washing after both “rain and wind” are present. Yes, it’s a gale by the time she gets in the door.}

{LOL, and Alan. I’ve kept this for now. I know both of you don’t like it, but Tim read it the way I intended and it’s so intrinsic that I have difficulty seeing how to change it. “The sun will set forever beyond the kyles” is intended to mean that it’s a constant in her life that the sun will continue forever to set every night in the same place – beyond the kyles (or, as Tim, says, in the west). She can be sure of it. The reason that it’s hard to change is that it’s part of a bracketing effect in that it links back to “passed like sunsets blushed across the kyles” at the start – her childhood has passed, but her life goes on. I’m not sure of the nature of your objection. If I understood that better, maybe I could find a way to address it.}

{LOL, “foregone verdicts” refers back to the lines you liked – “where ministers tell all they’re unforgiven/ until they die then say they’ve gone to heaven”. The verdicts that will be delivered at funerals are kept under cover so that people will keep on going to church and striving for forgiveness. They’re “foregone” because, when the funeral rolls around, the minister will tell the mourners that the deceased’s elevator has gone up, not down, in almost all cases.}

that, whether she must face a widow’s grief,
or they return expecting her relief,

{LOL, thanks for catching the subjunctive on “smile”. Alan, in response to your initial comment, I’ve revised this.}

Thanks again, all.

Porridginal

[This message has been edited by Porridgeface (edited April 06, 2001).]