Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Default Blacklisting Quadrant Poets

Beware, John Whitworth and Co., Quadrant is now being blacklisted by a major journal in Australia:

Australian magazine blacklists poets who publish in conservative Quadrant: http://theam.cn/1dTHrF9. More: http://theam.cn/1dOoe9t
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Correction: Poets Blacklisted

It's actually poets who are being blacklisted. Those who publish in Quadrant are blacklisted:

Australian magazine blacklists poets who publish in conservative Quadrant: http://theam.cn/1dTHrF9. More: http://theam.cn/1dOoe9t
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM

Find inspiration where you can. Tin-foil Loopers would make an interesting name for a journal, a poem, a whole school of poetry. Always remember: "Never let the bastards grind you down."
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Default True, so true

Well said, Curtis. I live your motto.
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:13 AM

The cynic in me wonders if this kind of thing happens more often than you think, except without the fanfare. At least here the journal/editor has been forthcoming, made folks aware, maybe saved a few people some money on postage.

Or inspired a great pseudonym.

Last edited by dean peterson; 01-22-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:27 AM

Well, that is needlessly silly and provocative (though those of us on the actual left still probably face more overt blacklisting in general). Why someone would actually wish to appear in a journal that has mainly made the news in recent years for genocide denial is beyond me, though....

(The Raintown has and will no doubt continue to publish authors who have appeared in Quadrant, if needs be said.)

Last edited by Quincy Lehr; 01-22-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added the last sentence.
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM

I'll add in quickly that I am not overly familiar with either journal/magazine, and, as a rule, I am skeptical in general of mission statements.
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM

Wow! I am a blacklisted poet!!! At least the blacklister was honest enough to state it in writing and not under the cover of literary taste.
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Actually, until I see something from Minter on this matter--indeed, a quick search reveals a great deal of denunciation from right-wing sources--I kind of feel as if one quote from personal correspondence, clearly written in a state of exasperation, doesn't really give us a good sense of exactly what it was he said--and in my rooting around on Google, that's what I have. Nazi analogies are inflammatory, sure, but I get his point--one does lend one's name and reputation to journals in which one appears, including journals that are primarily political, and publishing in them is a political act. As for the "blacklist," it might be wise to wait for Minter to make some sort of statement before going too ape$#!t about it.

Editing in, a look at Minter's faculty page tells us a lot:

http://sydney.edu.au/arts/english/st...minter.330.php

The guy specializes in Aboriginal literature! Given Quadrant's position on what was done to the Aborigines, his position as an editor makes a great deal more sense. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it does give a fair bit of context.

Last edited by Quincy Lehr; 01-22-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM

I must confess I have never heard of Overland nor of its editor. Perhaps I would have done had I I lived in Australia. He could be a lineal descendant of the Angry Penguin, I suppose. Is it possible that the Melbourne Shakespeare Society has deprived me of my dollars because my poems are published by Les Murray? Surely not?

It does not need saying that Les, a Christian, has no sympathy with Nazis anywhere.The man Minter sounds a very silly fellow. but I do know, from reading Quadrant, that Australian academia is stuffed with very silly fellows. Much like ours, don't you know.

Raintown Review. Good to know, Quincy. Good to know. You wouldn't consider paying - like Les does.