Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:17 AM

Question: If a journal is asking for a cover letter to accompany your poetry submission, what kind of information are they normally looking for, and how extensive should that information be? I have only submitted to two places before and neither required a cover letter.
I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks;
Gene
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:57 AM

Gene,
Keep it short. I give the names of the poems I am submitting, mention that I am enclosing an SASE, tell whether I want the poems returned or just a reply. I give a little biographical information, usually just what I do and where some of my poems have recently appeared. If you don't have any publications, you might mention where you got your education. Don't go on about what you are trying to do in the poems or what your philosophy of poetry is.

Susan
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Exactly what Susan said.
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:19 AM

Gene, I'd cut it down more since they can see the SASE and not too many people care if they get their poems back (unless you're Blake and engraved each one!)
You might want to mention that you enjoy the level of poetry in their publication.
Good luck, Dee
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:29 AM

1. I wouldn't mention education. I used to, but had stopped anyway, and once I became an editor, I realized it annoyed me and accomplished nothing positive.

2. Only mention the quality of the magazine's work if you can cite a specific example you enjoyed.

3. If you subscribe to the journal, mention that fact.

Some of my best results have come when I've been able to fulfill either suggestion 2 or 3 or both of them. Other than that, short and sweet, as the others have said.

------------------
Steve Schroeder
Unread 01-27-2005, 12:18 PM

Mentioning the SASE is not a bad idea, since many times editors file those separately from the cover letters and the cover letter can remind them that there is one.

Another submission trick is to include a self-addressed stamped postcard for the editor to drop in the mail on receipt (and actual opening) to let you know that your manuscript was not lost. It's cheaper and more polite than the post office return-receipt, which in any case doesn't tell you when it finally gets opened.
Unread 01-27-2005, 06:24 PM

Susan, Michael, Dee, Steven and Kevin thank you all very much for your quick response to my question. It is big help to have a general idea of what to include. I will be sure to keep it brief .

Gene
Unread 01-28-2005, 02:47 AM

Cool

The typical editor has put a great deal of time and energy into his or her publication. Since no one gets rich off poetry, this editor is hoping for other rewards, one of which is an honest appreciation of something in a previous edition of the journal.

If you have read any recent editions of the mag, and there is a piece you particularly like, MENTION IT, and give a brief statement as to why.

EXAMPLE: "The poem "The Invaders" in the fall edition of Wheat Grass truly captured my feelings about the war in Iraq.

Don't lie. If the journal you're submitting to is worth a damn, there WILL be poems you genuinely like. Give praise where praise is due, and let your candor shine through.

Best,

Fred
Unread 01-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

I tend to say I'm a businessman and live in Stoke Poges.
If I'm touting a publication (as I am at the moment) I mention that too.
Steve, did I mention I'm touting a publication in my bio for your mag?
Best wishes,
David
Unread 01-28-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Longworth:
The typical editor has put a great deal of time and energy into his or her publication. Since no one gets rich off poetry, this editor is hoping for other rewards, one of which is an honest appreciation of something in a previous edition of the journal.

If you have read any recent editions of the mag, and there is a piece you particularly like, MENTION IT, and give a brief statement as to why.

In theory, I think this is good advice. In practice, though, the one time I tried it, I had to wrestle with the comment for a while--how to make it sound sincere (and I really meant what I said) but not gushy or curt--and it didn't do my submission any good. Form rejection. Since then I've been very businesslike and bare-bones in my cover-letter-writing approach--similar to Susan's I suppose.

The bottom line is that at the end of the day it's the poems that count. If I had 10 minutes to spend on either polishing my poems or thinking of a way to get the right "tone" for the "I read poem X in your journal and really liked it" comment in my cover letter, I'd spend it on the poems and do away with the comment.

I do think--and this may be looking quite a bit ahead--that it is good etiquette to write thank-you notes for acceptances. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be more comfortable about talking about work I enjoyed with the editor after I've been accepted. Nor is there anything to stop one from sending a letter to an editor simply for the sake of showing appreciation (that is, without an accompanying submission).