Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM

For the past several months, one of the perks of my pathetic little existence, indeed, one of the things that kept me going was the General Talk board. There was always some contentious debate dragging itself on into infinity. Sometimes I kept my distance and watched the carnage. Other times, I revved the chainsaw and waded right into the mass, feeling the cathartic release of just ripping into someone--as long as I didn't violate the board's "ad hom" rules--and realizing that no one would actually be hurt. Through the threads were frequently exasperating, they could be a lot of fun. Freud would probably say there's something libidinal in it, and perhaps, if he said so, he'd have a point.

However, when I pop over here now, there are no raving hippie idiots calling grammar fascistic; Mark Allinson has paused for breath on the subject of Australian English departments; that interminable "Middle East conflict" thread has seemingly terminated; and, hell, Janet Kenny and I have agreed to disagree on the subject of initial caps.

What gives?

Quincy
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:17 PM

One gets tired of "streets that follow like a tedious argument."

Besides, I've found that if you're new on Eratosphere, people tend to ignore your remarks and not take any notice of your contribution to a discussion--so why bother trying to get into a dialogue where you feel you're not welcome? Too much of an old-boy/old-girl club.
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Mark Allinson has paused for breath on the subject of Australian English departments
Quincy, if it is too quiet for you, I can always start it up again.

Just jokin', folks.

But I do know what you mean about the creepy quality of the quietness - it can't be good for the poetry, all this harmony and genteel delicacy of exchange.

Peace and tranquilty lead to flabulent verse.

Let's rumble!

Unread 09-29-2006, 04:34 PM

Perhaps we've entered the Golden Age of Eratosphere?

Unread 09-29-2006, 04:37 PM

Don't listen to Mark about the purple Kool-Aid.
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:50 PM

...just when I thought the place was going sane.
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:59 PM

David,
I think yours was a saddening comment, and one with which I sympathise. I've often made a comment on a thread, which was ignored, only to see it acknowledged at once when somebody else made the same point. You start to feel like the cyber version of Invisible Woman. LOL.
A lot of it may be paranoia, but I think it is a fact of many online groups that some members are listened to as if they were Thunderers, while other members feel they are squeaking into a void. I sometimes wonder if it's better for the ego to be insulted than ignored.

I admit that I enjoy a good Ding-Dong thread immensely. Disgraceful, I know, but if anyone feel their dander rising, please PM me with a link so I don't miss it...
Regards, Maz
Unread 09-29-2006, 05:13 PM

I find that as soon as I comment to a thread it dries up and blows away. I don't know if my remarks are conversation stoppers or if I'm so late commenting that everybody else has already spoken.

Does anybody read those massive threads? (shudder)

Carol
Unread 09-29-2006, 05:20 PM

Quincy,

I know what you mean. I was enjoying the argument on the Pope thread, but that seems to have faded. I felt compelled to continue the discussion here: http://www.seablogger.com/?p=6102 . Perhaps I have more fire in me on this topic than others.

In general, the Sphere has seemed quiet for the past few days. Maybe its the calm before the storm...

- Daniel
Unread 09-29-2006, 05:42 PM

David and Maz--

I felt similarly when I first came on the site--I thought (and still do) that my points were good more often than bad, but I felt generally lost in the press of the regulars. Then I went native and became a regular. I'm still not quite sure how that happened.

And now I'm a cliquish turd like everybody else. Sad, isn't it?

Quincy