Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Paul Stevens

We are calling for submissions for Issue #3 of The Shit Creek Review . Please submit original work in the fields of poetry, critical and analytic prose, reviews, essays, art and photography.

Submissions for Issue #3 need to be in by the 11th of February, 2007. Please read our submissions criteria here before submitting:

http://www.shitcreekreview.com/submissions.html

Issue #3 will go online in late March as we move from a Bi-Monthly to a Quarterly publication scheme.

We hope to implement a downloadable .pdf file option for each issue, and are investigating ways to put the SCR into print every so often, so that contributors and readers may have a hard copy if they wish. Any ideas for achieving the printed version proposal are welcome.

Submissions should be made to

Nigel Holt - email: shitcreekreview@yahoo.com

Visual arts submissions should be made to

Don Zirilli - email: shitchreekart@blackyak,com

The Shit Creek Review is at http://www.shitcreekreview.com/

The Shit Creek Review blog is at http://theshitcreekreview.blogspot.com/

Unread 01-20-2007, 04:22 PM

To achieve the hard copy, I hear good things about lulu.com -- which gives you various options from pamphlet to perfect bound hardcover.
Unread 01-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Paul Stevens

Thanks, Roger. Lulu looks the goods. It doesn't seem to require fees, set-up costs etc - they only take a cut when something is sold, as I understand it. I wonder what the quality of the physical product is like.
Unread 01-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Distinguished Guest Host

Lulu's good, and the quality is fine.
Julie Carter published her book on Lulu.
Unread 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Paul,

I have a poem that is being published by Mississippi Crow Magazine in the spring issue, and I am pretty sure that it is published through Lulu so I will let you know what it looks like when I get my copy in the mail.

Cheers!

Shawn Nacona

[This message has been edited by Shawn Stroud (edited January 23, 2007).]
Unread 01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Paul Stevens

Thanks David and Shawn. Lulu definitely seems to be the go. Shawn, I look forward to your impressions. I wonder whether the whole idea is worthwhile - I might start a thread upstairs to see what others think.
Unread 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Paul,

I will make sure to post back and let you know how it looks when I get it. I have to say that I think that your idea could be worthwhile. I think that The Shit Creek Review turned out great, and if you stick to the standards of your site (which I have no doubt that you would) then it would turn out very nice. Since you have poetry and art you would be appealing to artists and poets. I was looking at Mississippi Crow Magazines site and it is $8.00/issue and poets and artists who are featured get 1 copy. I think what you would make back just from the contributors families and friends would pay the cost, and help fund future issues. Plus magazines like Poetry in Motion have back issues that go for up to $40.00 a copy because of the artwork that is featured on them. I can see where there could be a chance that you do really well with it. I wish you luck, I will keep my eyes out to see if you decide to put out an issue in print.

Cheers!

Shawn Nacona

[This message has been edited by Shawn Stroud (edited January 25, 2007).]
Unread 03-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Paul,

I just received my copy of Mississippi Crow Magazine, and I have to say that it looks pretty nice. I think that lulu just might be the way to go for you. My copy is of very good quality, with a nice mix of art and poetry in color and black and white. Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Shawn Nacona
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Paul Stevens

Thanks for that, Shawn. I'm facing various technical problems in making up pages with graphic content the way I want - maybe I need to invest in some new software.
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:42 AM

Hey, Paul, you forgot to change the entry deadline date - it's still in there as February 11. I'm a hustler, but there are limits...