Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-12-2007, 05:44 AM

POETRY SPRING

An international poetry festival and the most outstanding yearly literature event in Lithuania organized by Lithuania Writers Union. At this festival poets from Lithuania and foreign countries read their verses, it also involves actors, singers, musicians and artists.

The festival is being held every year since 1965, on the last week of May. During several days there are more than 50 meetings, what pull people from all Lithuania. On the eve of the festival an almanac 'Poetry Spring' with new verses, poetry translations and essays on literature is issued.

In the spring of 2004 a garland of oak leaves was pulled on the fortieth laureate of the Poetry Spring.

During the last years the Poetry Spring attracts more and more poets from foreign countries and Lithuanian poets of emigration.

The Poetry Spring becomes more and more vivid in the map of the European literature events. The Lithuanian Writers Union and the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania are proud to welcome „Poetry Spring 2007" in Ireland. Four Lithuanian poets have accepted the invitations to participate in this outstanding international cultural event in Dublin.

The possibility for the poetry lovers to see the poets and listen to their oeuvre depends on the cooperation, initiative and wish of the cultural workers of two countries. This cooperation could lead to a wonderful and unforgettable work.

This exciting international cultural event will bring together many creative people and awaken joy of inspiration in many hearts.

The Lithuanian Embassy and Seven Towers have worked together to bring you this outstanding event.

POETS:

Antanas A. Jonynas , poet and translator, was born in Vilnius, on November 26, 1953. He studied the Lithuanian language and literature at Vilnius University. From 1976 he worked at a publishing-house Vaga, later at Baltijos TV. Antanas has a number of published collections of poetry in Lithuanian and has also had one collection Poems translated into English. He has won a number of awards for his word - Jotvingiai Award, 1997; National Culture and Art Prize Laureate, 2003. "Poetry Spring" Festival Laureate, 2005.

Liutauras Degėsys , poet, was born in Vilnius, on October 1, 1953. In 1971 he finished the 15th Secondary School in Vilnius, in 1976 – finished studies of psychology at Vilnius University. In 1976-1979 he was an assistant of a Department of Philosophy at Kaunas Polytechnical Institute (now Kaunas University of Technology), in 1979-1982 – a post-graduate of a Department of Philosophy at Vilnius. He had published a number of collections of poetry in Lithuania.

Liudvikas Jakimavičius , poet, playwright, literary critic, was born in Kuliai, Plungė district, on August 21, 1959. In 1985 he finished studies of the Lithuanian language and literature at Vilnius University, in 1991 – courses of scriptwriters at Music Academy. In 1988-1998 he worked at ėpos theatre and editorial offices of Sietynas and Metai. He has had a number of collections of poetry published, including a collection in Lithuanian and English, as well as some plays and a children's book. He won the Firefighters Award for the play Gaisrininkų legendos.

Rudžianskas Viktoras , poet, was born in Čekiškė, Kaunas district, on November 25, 1957 and is a chief editor of the magazine Nemunas. He has published a number of poetry collections in Lithuanian and and an essay.

Ross Hattaway was born in Wellington New Zealand and has been living in Ireland since 1990. His poetry has been published in journals in New Zealand, Australia and Ireland. His first collection of poetry, The Gentle Art of Rotting was published by Seven Towers in 2006 and was hailed by the Irish Independent as "an exciting new collection of poetry".

Noel Ó Briain was born in Tralee, Co Kerry in 1933 and currently lives in County Wexford. He has worked as a civil servant, an actor, a theatre, radio and television producer/director and a designer. He was Head of Drama for RTE for a period up to 1988. His poetry has been published in The Kilkenny Magazine, Poetry Ireland. His first collection of poetry, Scattering Day, 21 Sonnets and Other Poems, will be published by Seven Towers in May 2007.

Quincy Lehr was born in Oklahoma City in 1975. He was educated in the Oklahoma public schools, as well as at University of Texas at Austin and Columbia University. He has had poems published in journals in America and as a performance poet is well known in the vibrant scene in New York. He currently lectures in history in Trinity College in Dublin and his first collection will be published by Seven Towers in 2008.

Seamus Cashman comes from Conna in Country Cork. He is the founder of Ireland's leading literary and cultural publishing houses, Wolfhound Press. His own publications include two poetry collections and a third collection is due later this year. He has edited The Wolfhound book of Irish Poems for Young People (1975) in print for the past 30 years, and Something Beginning with P: New Poems from Irish Poets (2004). He also co-edited Proverbs and Sayings of Ireland. His most recent publication is Step Together- from Pillar to Spire (2006), a pamphlet on citizenship.

Tom Conaty is a poet and teacher from Ballyhaise, Co. Cavan now living in Dublin. He has two sons Davin and Finn. Tom is a regular contributor to RTE Poetry programmes and a former member of Temenos Theatre where he played leading roles in The Glass Menagerie, Oedipus Rex and Mother Courage and Her Children. His central work concerns poetry in education and in collaboration with other artists. His work includes Swim – a collaboration with sculptor Jane McCormack, was part of "Rhyme and Resin", a joint project between Poetry Ireland and The Royal Hibernian Academy and opened the Caomhnú Literary Festival in Cavan in February, 2007; the film Stitched (2005) which he produced and co-directed it with Seamus Cashman. Tom is also a consultant to the Arts Council's Arts in Education Programming and Policy and a member of the Board of Poetry Ireland. His first collection of poetry will be published in 2008.

Liam Aungier is a Dublin born poet whose collection, Apples in Winter was published by Doghouse Press.

Kris Finnerty is a talented poet, songwriter and musician from Bray, Co Wicklow. His single Dead Man Walking was released in 2006. His CD will be released in late 2007.

The Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania RSVP Ph.: 016781025

90 Merrion Road E-mail: amb.ie@urm.lt

Ballsbridge

Dublin 4

Dates and Venues:

Wednesday 16th May 2007
Hiberninan Club, Stephens Green, Dublin 2
6pm

Thursday 17th May 2007
Sheries of Middle Abbey Street , Dublin 1
5pm

Friday 18th May
Chapters of Parnell Street
1pm

Sheries of Middle Abbey Street , Dublin 1
5pm

Unread 05-12-2007, 07:27 AM

Quincy,

Gatherings like this are wonderful. Congratulations on your involvement. I love exchanging views of art and life with people from such different places but with strong cultural links to a European culture to which we all connect in one way or another.

Well done. That's living!
Janet
Unread 05-12-2007, 10:24 AM

What a sneaky way to announce your first book of poems, Quincy!

GOOD ON YA!!!! Many congrats on your forthcoming Irish publication!

Terese

Unread 05-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Terese--

Quincy here. At the Hayeses' in Kilkenny at the moment. We will, naturally, gossip relentlessly about you all. It's gonna get grim. Very, very grim.

Una gives her greetings.

Quincy
Unread 05-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Please give Una (and Jim) my love and tell her she has my permission to flirt with you even more than I flirted with Jim in NY. On the other hand, hmmm. Maybe Jim would have something to say about that.

Have a grand ol' time, and remember my good qualities now and then.

T.
Unread 05-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Jim -

Once we realized Quincy was going to be in Ireland, a group of us got together, pooled our resources, applied for an Irish government grant for additional funding, and were able to hire a local attorney and obtain a restraining order (I forget what it is actually called over there, but it is a very impressive document, and I believe there is some reference to "the Common Good of all Mankind") which prohibited Quincy from coming within, I believe, 1500 meters of you, visiting any pub in which you had been during the previous 24 hours, gossipping in any manner about mutual acquaintances, or even drinking the same brand of malt liquor. Quincy is well aware of this, and I am sorry he neglected to inform you. I suggest you confine your conversation to Oklahomaphobic poetry.
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

THE FIRST COLLECTION!!
I had missed the announcement. It was late when I read the message. I knew it was coming and I'm over the moon for you Quincy. It's marvellous to see a young talent hitting his stride.

Well deserved. You are never dull.
Janet
Unread 05-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Many congratulations, Quincy.

(And thank God Terese reads long announcements for distant conferences more carefully than I do!)

Wonderful news.
Maryann

Unread 05-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Quincy,

Congratulations on your book!

Funny thing about Lithuanian poetry: I poked around on the Web after reading your announcement, and found that there's a museum in Vilnius dedicated to Adam Mickiewicz...a renowned Polish poet. But that's not surprising, since during the 20th century alone, Vilnius belonged to Poland, Lithuania, the USSR, and finally Lithuania again.

In fact, I've enjoyed reading some translations of Mickiewicz's sonnets and narratives today. Thanks for the lead, Quincy.

Claudia

Unread 05-12-2007, 09:34 PM

Wow! Now that's good news!

Congratulations, Quincy, on your upcoming book!