Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Distinguished Guest

Well, now that I've got your attention...

I'd like to invite you all to drop in on Translation Board. We've got some really great work there, and even if you don't want to translate (although we hope you'll try!) we would welcome comments on the translations. You don't need to know the languages to respond to the translations as poetry. Also, please check out our current challenge "Whose Translation Is It Anyway?" Even if you're not familiar with our work, you might want to hazard a guess. And as I said, we always value comments.

And, as a matter of fact, we DO post sexy stuff. Check out Aaron's Sappho, for example. You won't be disappointed.

Marion
Unread 08-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Paul Stevens

Marion, I plan to have a feature with poetry, essays, and less formal prose responses to the topic of translation in an issue of The Chimaera in the near future: hopefully issue #2 (around January). I'm hoping to draw on the talents of Eratospherean Translators for this project.
Unread 08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Distinguished Guest

Thank you for letting us know about this, Paul. Would you let us know when you will be accepting submissions?
Unread 08-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Paul Stevens

Marion, I'd prefer submissions after 17th September, the date by which submissions for the first Chimaera are due (with a feature on issues relating to expat poets). I can't give a final deadline date for TC #2 submissions yet, but I would think November-Decemberish. The Chimaera will have general poetry, prose etc, but also a feature section which in Issue #2 will be on translation of poetry (and translation issues in general if there are suitable submissions): so translated poems (with copyright clear), reflections on translating those poems, reflections on translating poetry in general, or translation in general, issues, problems, reviews of translated works: or anything in that area that interests a submitting author. I like to keep thses things broad to evoke a range of responses within a topic area. I am particularly interested personally in the translation/transcreation question, so any high quality submission that addresses that topic would be enthusiastically received. I am very amenable to any suggestion as to how this project can be used to enhance the status of the Translation forum on Erato. Off the top of my head: it occurs to me that a feature article by someone who knows the topic which presents something of the history, feel, personalities and drama of the Translation Board might answer; I feel sure there must be other ways.