Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 11-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Next Thursday, Clive will be visiting St. Andrew's and will give a reading at 8:00 pm in our art gallery. (We are about an hour's drive from Philly, an hour from Baltimore, 2 1/2 from DC or NYC.) If anyone is in the general area and would like to come down, please let me know and I will give directions. Information on Clive's book, Jigsaw, is available on the WayWiser Press website, here .

Chris Childers
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Lariat Emeritus

I wish I could be there, and I urge everyone within a few hours' drive to go.
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM

Hello--This thread has helped me to realize that a former colleague of mine, Kelly O'Shea, is now a colleague of yours. I don't know if you know each other, but if you do cross her path could you tell her Simon and Nancy Hunt say hi?

I wish I were close enough to hear Clive read, admiring his work as I do. Here at my school (Santa Catalina in Monterey), we're bringing in Dick Davis for a week's visit in March.

Best wishes, --Simon
Unread 11-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Yes, of course I know Kelly! How interesting, and I've heard a lot about your boarding school. She's very nice and seems to have a great feel for the kids; I'll pass your greetings along.

Dick Davis is a wonderful writer and reader too, as I did get to hear him at West Chester this year; in March no doubt I'll return your current sentiment. Plus, you get him for the whole week!

All best,

Chris
Unread 11-03-2007, 04:33 PM

Dear Chris, Dear Simon, Dear Tim

Thanks for this. I am very much looking forward to my visit. The initial excuse for the trip was to take part in the events, public and private, in Baltimore and Washington, associated with the award of the Anthony Hecht Prize to Erica Dawson for her extraordinary book, Big-Eyed Afraid, and so to meet up again with one or two people I have not seen for a couple of years – and also, of course, to make the acquaintance of some others, for instance, one of my two Waywiser opposite numbers in the States, Greg Williamson. My wife and I had already decided to extend our trip with a short tour into southern Pennsylvania (she is a quilter), when Chris Childers kindly invited me to read at St Andrew’s, an invitation I was very pleased to accept. It will be good to see you again, Chris.

Simon, do remember me to Dick Davis. I am sure you and your students will enjoy his reading. I remember him from my first visit to the US in 2003, when I read at West Chester with Deborah Warren, late of this site, and took part in his class on rhyme. We met again in the UK the following year and had lunch together when he was on a family visit to Hull, only an hour from where I live.

It’s late evening now, and we are flying tomorrow. Time to turn in.

Kind regards

Clive

[This message has been edited by Clive Watkins (edited November 03, 2007).]
Unread 11-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Whoops. Meant to send that as PM to Chris. Am doofus. I guess there's nothing scandalous in it, but I realized my mistake and came back to remedy it--only to find your replies. Guess I'll leave it; otherwise your replies will refer to nothing. But repeat: am doofus.