Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 12-07-2005, 06:01 AM

Please join us in welcoming back Clive Watkiins, who's resuming his moderatorship after an extended leave of absence attending to duties off board. We are delighted to have you back, Clive!

Clive is relieving Marion Shore at the Deep End. Marion isn't going anywhere--she will continue as roving moderator, commenting as time permits. Thanks to Marion for a job well done lifeguarding at the Deep End!

Carol & Alex

Unread 12-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Lariat Emeritus

This is wonderful news. Obviously the six figure salary was more than Clive could pass up. Having reached mandatory retirement age, I'm soliciting nominations for my replacement as Lariat.
Unread 12-07-2005, 05:58 PM

Welcome back, Clive. It will be a pleasure to have you here again. (My understanding, Tim, is that the six figure salary is only true if you include the bonus - and that Clive has generously waived the car and driver.)
Unread 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM

Can't do better than Clive, so that's good, but I would argue that, at a time when Eratosphere is begging its members for a couple thousand dollars to keep its head above water, it is rash & inexcusable to lavish a six-figure salary on a mere moderator. Unless, of course, Clive would be willing to donate his first year's salary + bonus to Eratosphere's operational costs, which would easily take care of the next 30-40 years. Clive has published a book of good poetry & so is presumably a millionaire, so this should be no hardship for him.

Tim -- I think Richard Wilbur would be a good Lariat. I assume you were trying him out for the part the last couple times you had him as "guest lariat." I think Wilbur would do a creditable job. He is perhaps "beyond" retirement age himself, but "beyond" in the sense of "transcending" rather than "exceeding," so he still might qualify. One possible stumblingblock: he would need to buy & learn how to use a computer. He would be my choice, though.
Unread 12-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Distinguished Guest

Welcome, Clive, I know you'll make an awesome moderator.

Just want to say how much I've enjoyed being moderator... but other commitments limit the time and energy I have to put into the task. I'll still be around. I can't imagine life without Eratosphere.

Marion
Unread 12-08-2005, 03:01 PM

I have to wonder if we really want Marion to be a Roving Moderator. I mean the good thing about her being the DE Mod was that she knew her place. NOW, we won't know WHERE she's liable to turn up, with her "Moderating" ways, and her patronizing "That was rather IM-moderate, Bugsy. You need to work on that." You know how she is.

But, that's just my opinion. By the way, was I considered for DE Moderator? I have a bunch of good ideas. My favorite one is Deep End Limerick Week, once a month.

---------
Bugsy

Unread 12-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Distinguished Guest

Hey Bugs,

Guess what? That's precisely why I took on the Roving position! So you better watch out. There's no place to hide.

Here's an entry for Limerick Week:

There once was a poet named Bugsy,
Who you wanted to give a big hugsy
For his rhymes were so cute
And funny. Well, shoot,
Ain't that a very nice plugsy?

All right, I know. But try rhyming "Bugsy."

Marion

P.S. BTW, I'm suing you for slander (or is it liable?) for your entry on the "Maid Marion" portrait! See you in court!
Unread 12-09-2005, 08:06 AM

Marion,

So you think that Deep End Limerick Week might be a go, then. Fantastic!

As for the Maid Marion thread, I apologize if any of that is not accurate. I was just going by what Oliver Murray told me that David Anthony had told HIM. I think there was a forum about it at the last West Chester dealie.

---------
Bugsy

Unread 12-24-2005, 02:34 AM

Welcome, Clive, to the joys and perils of the Deep, and all good wishes for a term of office that will be rewarding (if not in the financial sense,

Margaret