Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Dear Erastophereans,

I am pleased to announce a familiar name on the Sphere as our newest moderator: she’s our own talented Julie Stoner. Julie will co-moderate the Metrical Poetry forum with Kate Benedict who has propelled that forum to new levels of excellence within the short time she’s been at its helm. Thus, it’s only fitting to lend Kate all the needed reinforcement, and, more than occasional respite.

Continuing in the spirit of reinforcement and respite, I am also pleased to announce that the moderating paperwork for our popular Rover, Oliver Murray has just been renewed, and he shall henceforth set anchor in the Deep End. You’re all already familiar with the moderating credentials of Oliver who will join our learned and indefatigable Clive Watkins to co-moderate the Deep End.
To learn more about Julie and Oliver, here is --

What Juile said:
  • Julie Stoner was born in 1968 and grew up on various bizarre planets. (Her microscopic Mojave Desert hometown's rock formations have appeared in nearly every sci/fi movie and television program ever made.) At the University of California at Berkeley, she earned a bachelor's degree in classical languages (Latin and Greek) and a master's degree in library and information studies. She was a reference librarian at the University of California at San Diego before embarking on her current career of homeschooling her two daughters. Her husband, although otherwise a superlative human being, detests poetry, which is why Julie uses her maiden name for poetic endeavors.

Julie joined Eratosphere in February of 2003 and published her first poem in September of that year. Her poems have appeared in Light, Iambs and Trochees, and First Things.

and, what Oliver said:
  • I'm married, and live with my wife in Belfast - two sons two daughters, grown up now, one granddaughter; wrote and published some short stories in my twenties, and had a lot of short stories and a couple of plays broadcast on the radio. Didn't write much for about twenty years, and then started trying to write verse about four years ago. I've been published in magazines like The Shop, Salt, Other Poetry, Kilkenny Magazine and Anon in Ireland & the U.K and in First Things, Iambs and Trochees, New Formalist etc. in the US. I've also published a lot of cartoons and illustrations in magazines like Dublin Opinion and Phoenix. Interests, reading, drawing, painting, classical music and jazz.

Please join me in giving a warm Eratosphere welcome to Julie, and, welcome again to Oliver!

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 05-10-2006, 07:07 PM

After all that work to open up FunExcise to the plebeians, here you go donning the consular fasces & insignia! Bienvenue & khairete. vos omnes salutamus.
Unread 05-10-2006, 07:46 PM

Julie,

1968!!! Some of us were assaulting the barricades in 1968. It was a very significant year
Poetry is the thinking woman's little den.
Congratulations,
Janet

Oliver,
You know I am more than glad to learn of your continued presence at the Deep End.
Congratulations likewise.
Janet

Unread 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Oliver--Welcome back!

Chris--Well, you know, I saw bread and circuses mentioned in the "So, You Want to Be Dictator-for-Life" handbook, and extrapolated.

Janet--I have to say that I don't remember the sixties very well...but that applies to some of the people at those barricades, too!

Thanks for the warm wishes,

Julie Stoner
Unread 05-10-2006, 08:11 PM

I was going to object that Julie is far too young for a position that requires such breadth of experience. But now I see that the American Bar Association has unanimously rated both Julie and Oliver "well qualified," so I decided to withdraw the objection.

Alex, you have chosen well.

epigone
Unread 05-10-2006, 09:57 PM

This is wonderful news! Congrats, Julie and Oliver.
Unread 05-11-2006, 12:50 AM

And a whole heap of cheers from me, terrific, Julie and Oliver

Jim
Unread 05-11-2006, 03:00 AM
Distinguished Guest

Oliver and Julie, congrats!

KEB
Unread 05-11-2006, 06:11 AM

Welcome, Julie & Oliver!

Catherine
Unread 05-11-2006, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the warm wishes!