Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-18-2003, 12:26 PM

The following short review appears in the latest issue of The Weekly Standard. Since the online version is viewable only by subscribers, I thought I'd post a copy here for the Eratospherians. JB

Loading the Canon
Who’s in and who’s out in contemporary poetry.
by Len Krisak

The Weekly Standard, 05/26/2003, Volume 008, Issue 36

The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry edited by J.D. McClatchy Vintage, 736 pp., $17

PITY THE POOR ANTHOLOGISTS. However richly compensated—and, typically, they aren’t—they remain hostages to time, never knowing if their choices will survive and justify them.

Meanwhile, every outraged reviewer gets to excoriate five or six pages of the anthology, until the entire book is covered in opprobrium: "Where’s Donald Hall?" "Where’s X.J. Kennedy?" "What about Dana Gioia?" "Why was Alfred Corn dropped from this new edition?" "What’s wrong with Stanley Kunitz?" "Where’s Billy Collins?" "Why is Audre Lorde wasting pulp in here when we could have had Maya Angelou or June Jordan?" "You call that Gary Snyder’s best work?"

A thankless task, this canon-making. And, in truth, it is hard not to want to approve of J.D. McClatchy’s efforts in "The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry." He was one of the few well-mannered poets during the recent tempest over Mrs. Bush’s poetic teacups. As editor of the Yale Review, he once published the work of Greg Williamson, and that has to be worth something. His recent edition of Edna St. Vincent Millay’s poetry for the Library of America series is to be applauded. And his other recent anthology, a complete set of translations of Horace’s "Odes" by various poets, was quite good.

In short, McClatchy occupies a formidable position in the current literary establishment, and we should be grateful Vintage placed this commission where it did. One could do much, much worse for a compiler of contemporary American poetry.

But no cultural enterprise—especially not as it pertains to the poetry wars—is ever going to be an unmixed blessing. In the 1990 edition, which the publishers called a "collection of the best poems by sixty-five of America’s greatest contemporary poets," about seven-and-a-half pages are given over, on average, to each of the luminaries within. But in McClatchy’s new, improved edition, Adrienne Rich has been allotted fourteen pages and J.V. Cunningham two and a half—a ratio just about exactly backwards. What judicious editing once gave, the hope of having the book adopted by English departments has now taken away.

And so it goes throughout "The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry." McClatchy deserves applause for even including the unfashionable Cunningham, America’s greatest epigrammatist. Given the alternatives, we should just be grateful that Richard Wilbur and Anthony Hecht and Gertrude Schnackenberg and Kay Ryan appear at all. But there is a high price to pay for that kind of silence: page after page of Charles Olson, for instance. Or maybe such lines from Robert Duncan as The Thundermakers descend, / damerging a nuv. A nerb. The present dented of the U night stayd. States? The heavy clod?

Then there is C.K. Williams, in a rodomontade on Three Mile Island, which proves mostly that, when it comes to settling on a gimmick, poets are not necessarily any better than the average run of hucksters. Louise Glück appears, mostly impenetrable, but occasionally lapsing into coherence long enough to favor us with things like this: It is not the moon, I tell you. It is these flowers lighting the yard. / I hate them. I hate them as I hate sex.

For every marvelous Richard Wilbur poem, there is a penance to pay: the egregious Allen Ginsberg, the near-comatose A.R. Ammons, the insufferably pretentious Jory Graham. Kay Ryan’s delightful "Paired Things"—Who ever would have dreamed / the broad winged raven of despair / would quit the air and go / bandylegged upon the ground, / a common crow?—requires slogging one’s way through the burnt-tongued and prosaic banality of most of the verse idols of our dreary age.

McClatchy has added a page-and-a- half note to this new edition of "The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry," in which he claims that the "dry-as-dust New Formalists" take up too many pages in anthologies nowadays. It’s hard to see quite what makes him think so. You can readily find Charles Bernstein and his ilk on the shelves of Borders—along with slam poets, performance poets, post-postmodernist poets, Nuyorican poets, and on and on. Try finding a formalist like Tim Steele or Charles Martin or Alicia Stallings in anything remotely like the same numbers.

What in 1990 was sixty-five is now seventy-two: the poets who fill this anthology bravely facing the future, the representatives of what was finest in our literary culture from 1948 to 2003. I’d put my money on about eight of them, at most.

And so should you.

Len Krisak is the author of the poetry collections "Midland" and "Even as We Speak." His translation of Ovid’s "Art of Love" will be published next year.

© Copyright 2003, News Corporation, Weekly Standard, All Rights Reserved.
Unread 05-18-2003, 12:45 PM

Way to sock it to 'em, Len. Did Stephen Yenser, my ex-colleague and sometime collaborator with McClatchy, make the cut? We've been out of touch. He was a formalist, so I'm curious.

Cheers,

------------------
Ralph

[This message has been edited by RCL (edited May 18, 2003).]
Unread 05-18-2003, 01:21 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Joseph Bottum:

"You can readily find Charles Bernstein and his ilk on the shelves of Borders..."

I found him at a dinner in NYC April 29, where he praised the work Russell Simmons has done on Def Poetry Jam, HBO. That show deserves to be offed in an opening scene in Six Feet Under.

Excellent, witty review.

But why do we have to have "the poetry wars"? I find them silly. I'm not going to turn my nose up at a good piece of free verse. Nor will I read through a well-turned, but dull sonnet. Poetry's a big tent. If the rapper's on Def Poetry Jam delivered more than cliched polemics and self-indulgent riming, I might have taken to the show. They do, at least, read with energy.

Bob
Unread 05-19-2003, 11:53 AM

Thanks, Len, for the incisive review, and, Jody, for posting it. Len's right, of course, about the silliness of much of McClatchy's selection--moreso on his comment about the ubiquity of those dry-as-dust New Formalists, who are rarely represented to any degree in almost any mainstream anthology. Sam Gwynn, Charles Martin dry as dust? I'm part way through Martin's New and Selected and it's anything but dry--except for some of the wit.

I'm glad McClatchy included the delightful Kay Ryan, though. I've written an essay on her in the forthcoming DLB volume on New Formalism.
Unread 05-20-2003, 11:55 AM

Yes, thanks Len for saying what needs to be said and saying it so well - about McClatchy's sour Vintage as well as Levin's "The Penquin book of non-sonnets" (see Weekly Standard, Oct 28, 2002). Anybody who's heard Len Krisak recite from his translation of "Arte D'Amore" or Tim Murphy, belt out Beowulf in Olde English, or Alfred Nicol recite his prize-winning "His and Hers" aloud would not, I repeat, would not say formal poetry is dry! It's an absolute blessing! Look out, Tom Disch; look out William Logan! Here comes Mr.Krisak with the right stuff!