Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Default Protection guide from search engine indexing

I'd posted this as a response in a GT thread, but per suggestions to make this more visible, I'm posting it here as well:

I've added a guide on Google indexing protection and the protection code usage in the FAQ system. Simply enter the search term 'google' in the FAQ to bring up the relevant instructions. Note that there are other search terms such as 'protection', 'indexing', etc. that will return these instructions as well, but 'google' is probably the most memorable.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks so much, Alex. This is wonderful.

PS--
I just tried the top few poems in the Deep End, and sure enough, the ones posted in the last few days are invisible, but the ones before them show up in Google. (So it's not retroactive, but I take it that people can go back and edit in the codes and that will at least relegate the poems to the Google cache until they are cleansed completely).

Last edited by Roger Slater; 02-11-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Unread 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Slater View Post
Thanks so much, Alex. This is wonderful.

PS--
(So it's not retroactive, but I take it that people can go back and edit in the codes and that will at least relegate the poems to the Google cache until they are cleansed completely).
Thanks, Bob. Yes, it's not retroactive, however, adding the protection code is now unnecessary and redundant even for those earlier posts currently in Google. This is because the new blanket protection for Deep End and other workshop forums means that next time Google comes by, even those earlier, previously unprotected threads will now be shielded from indexing and thus, drop off from Google when they update their listings for those earlier Sphere threads.

Cheers,
...Alex