Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-13-2009, 10:53 PM

;-)

Hmmmmm

Hello Quincy

I'm becoming a little strange. Hard to know what to do about it.

My condition worsens every day.

Pay no attention to me.
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:20 PM

My comments absolutely do not reflect on Catherine's critical ability. I just don't want a rejected poem which I valued enough to enter in a contest to then be discussed at length as a flawed poem. It is always a matter of taste and opinion and it is not part of the contest in which the poems discussed should be the selected poems. That is the point of the exercise.

Those who want their rejected poems to be further discussed must of course proceed as suggested.
Unread 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Kenny View Post
Pay no attention to me.
For Chrissake's, Janet, that becomes a little difficult when there are 21 responses to Catherine's post, and eight of them are by you, and all you are doing is making it clear over and over again that you are massively uncomfortable with the notion that, God forbid, somebody should find fault with a poem and focus on the weaknesses rather than smothering the poor thing in praise before - possibly - hesitantly - offering a teeny suggestion. The purpose of this site is to improve each other's poetry by critiquing it, and once you get past the beginner's level, that means by reacting honestly and professionally, not simpy offering encouragement. If - as part of that process - a contest judge, or a selector, is willing to work overtime to comment on additional entries, I think we should be delighted.

You're discomfited by this because the whole world may learn that somebody's poem only made it to fourteenth place because Catherine deemed it lacking in this, that, or the other thing? That she might forget to say Every single poem that was entered was magnificent, but a few were just slightly more magnificent than the others? As Rose said - lighten up!

Finally, I think this concept of yours that, "Once an also ran poem has been kicked about here it's finished for submission elsewhere. Not because it's unworthy but because it's over-exhibited" is wrong, wrong wrong. Do you think that every editor in the English speaking world is monitoring this contest? That more than one or two are paying any attention? That they will pay more attention to one individual's reaction to the poem here than to their own judgement? That they will even remember in six months? And there is also the possibility that the "kicking about" will result in revision and a stronger poem.

Harrumph, and all that.
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Michael,
I added my comment because a private email had suggested that I had been rude and thoughtless to Catherine which hadn't been my intention.

Just as I'm sure that your intentions were equally lofty. Some people enjoy letting off steam and those who do have done so as usual.

I consider contests to be formal events with rules. The forum is another matter.
Janet

Last edited by Janet Kenny; 03-14-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Some people enjoy slyly doing what they do do and those who do have done so as usual.

Last edited by Mike Todd; 03-18-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: profanity; edited by moderator. MC
Unread 03-19-2009, 07:00 PM

Update: Mr. Cassity has received the packet of sonnets I sent to him by traditional mail service, and I hope to receive his comments back by March 31 so I can transcribe them onto this thread with the accompanying poems, beginning April 1.