Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 07-18-2006, 08:52 AM

Dear Jamison:

Boston and the surrounding area is full of classical music -- Emmanuel in Boston does the Bach cantata for each Sunday. In late August there is a Bach festival in North Conway, NH, and you'll find Baroque concerts on any given week. You shouldn't have any trouble finding an group to Join. Nearby Merrimack college has an active program. The food's OK if you like chowder, but look at this as an opportunity to loose some unwanted pounds.

By the way, the Powows meet to critique only once a month. Neither the my supply of laudelum or my fragile self esteem could handle any more.

Stephen

[This message has been edited by Stephen Scaer (edited July 18, 2006).]
Unread 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Lariat Emeritus

Jamison, have Rhina fix you lamb shanks.
Unread 07-18-2006, 11:52 AM

The Andover and Newburyport area is, of course, legendary for soul food. Why, just two years ago, somebody fried a chicken thigh. (In mayonnaise, of course. And it had been skinned and steamed first, and rolled in skim milk and Rice Krispies.)

There's a ribs and chicken place on route 1 in Rowley that's supposed to be good, but I've never been there (I think Rhina has, and perhaps she can advise) and a good take out joint named Tennessee on route 114 in Peabody, but that's about 40 minutes from Andover. Personally, I'm doing a pork shoulder at home this weekend, slow-cooked on the outdoor smoker. Never tried that before. I'll let you know what went wrong.

New England soul food is steamers and lobster - and "slobster" includes the greenies and reddies, the body, sucking all the internal stuff out of the feelers - and not leaving the table until your entire person is spattered with little white flecks, and you are a complete mess up beyond the elbows and have to head directly for the shower. Unfortunately,lobster is far too expensive to really qualify as "soul" food - even in Andover - but lobster bodies are six for $1.00 at David's Seafood in Salisbury, there is still plenty of stuff inside to satisfy the fanatic, and there are them amongst us (I live with one) what goes through them like a Norwegian in a pod of baby seals.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Cantor (edited July 18, 2006).]
Unread 07-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Honorary Poet Lariat

The place of Route 1A is called "American Barbecue," and to call it unpretentious is to glorify it: I love it, for the peanuts--and shells on the floor--and the ribs, greens of various kinds redolent of bacon, sweet potatoes and cornbread. It's what my health-conscious niece refers to as "death food," and delicious. And not a lobster--or lobstah--in sight.

Yes, lamb shanks chez Espaillat/Moskowitz are available, and we will provide non-alcoholic potables to go with.

As for the music, two of the Powows are musicians: Nancy Bailey Miller and Patricia Callan, who is also a playwright. The person to ask about Boston musical organizations and performances--especially choral--is David Berman, another one of our members.
Unread 07-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Yaay, James!

My fantasy gig.

Robin