Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Unread 06-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default UK summer gathering of Sphereans

While they're all enjoying West Chester (like many of us, I couldn't make it this year, sadly,) my thoughts are turning towards another annual event: the meeting of Sphereans in Oxford or Cambridge -- or anywhere else this time, if preferred -- during the summer.

I'm hoping to join Simon (Hunt) as I know he'll be over here on vacation for a few weeks with his family, not far from where I live, but what about the rest of you? Lots of us have met for lunch/a walk/lots of chatting etc over the last two or three years and it would be great to keep up the tradition!

The place and the date are flexible at this stage, but in order to start making plans can we have some 'likely suspects' please? The final details will eventually fall into place... it says here

Jayne
Unread 06-04-2014, 04:03 PM

If the time and place are right, I might well make one of the party, Jayne.

Clive
Unread 06-04-2014, 04:21 PM

As Jayne says I'll be in England for much of the summer, mid-June to early-August, excepting a week's trip to France and Spain. It would be lovely to meet up with some of you, and I'm also interested in tips on poetry stuff to get involved in if you have any. We'll be based in the fabulously named Leighton Buzzard, but with some mobility and blessedly flexible of schedule.

This is a family-trip we have been deferring for years, so I'm thrilled we're doing it. As some of you know, I'm British-born, California-raised; it's important to me to take the kids back to the old country every so often and to catch up with the rellies and the Branston pickle...
Unread 06-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Hi Jayne,

Thank you! A quick message from West Chester.... I will be in England (seeing family, mostly) from July 16 to Aug. 4.

I'll be in London from July 16 to July 21. And then I'm going up to Leicester for the rest of my visit.

Might have a side trip to Oxford--not sure yet. All by train--no car.

It would be great to meet you, Clive and Simon (!), and anyone else who's around and can make it work.

Charlotte
Unread 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Administrator

It would be great to see you again, Clive!

It's always tricky getting a bunch of people to be available in the same place at the same time, though we've managed it several times up to now. I'm wondering...
We've done 'The Trout' at Oxford (taxi or a lift needed from the station), the Rupert Brooke near Cambridge (rather a long wait for the food!)...

What about meeting in London? Shall we start the ball rolling and see whether that's a good choice? And would a Sunday be best?

Just testing the water, then, for starters: How about London, 27th July or 3rd August or 10th August?

Jayne

Simon and Charlotte posted while I was writing. Looks like the August dates are out for you both. Shall we try and narrow it down to Sunday July 27th, then? You could travel with me, Charlotte, if you like!
Unread 06-04-2014, 04:56 PM

We will be in London on the 27th, attending a matinee at the Globe (either A&C or JC; can't remember which...). This is one of two formal plans we have so far (the other being the other play at the Globe). Anyway, a morning or late afternoon meet-up in London should work for us that day, but we're booked from Act I to Act V...

3rd August would work for me too, probably, but not 10th August...
Unread 06-04-2014, 09:21 PM

I'm up for it if I'm free. Don't have my diary with me in West Chester, but find a date the others can make and I'll try. London is good for me.

Mary
Unread 06-05-2014, 02:41 AM
Distinguished Guest Host

I hope to come.
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Goody. It looks as if we're clear for take-off.

I'm inclined to think that 27th July is the best date to head for, as Simon and Charlotte will be heading back to the States early in August (Simon, we can easily meet at Linslade as well, can't we?).

The next task is to find somewhere nice to eat and to get a table booked as soon as we have a rough idea of the number.

For now, though, let's wait to see who else might be able to join the happy band. Is there a collective noun for poets, by the way?

Jayne
Unread 06-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Cally has recently posted to FB a photo of a poetic gathering that appears centered on a gargantuan pitcher of Pimm's. I think the collective noun has to be "a Pimm's of poets."