Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 08-28-2015, 06:30 PM

But really, so what?

Besides, I can't see that having a website is an "accomplishment," since anyone can do it. And the distinction between General Talk and General Announcements can be blurry at times, especially for new members.
Unread 08-28-2015, 06:49 PM

Well no, it's not that big a deal, Roger. And yes Erik is a new member. But I think it pretty clear that the point of General Talk is to generate discussion on particular, general topics outside the realm of the critique of the poetry of members. Any discussion this post would generate would be about this particular individual and his poems, and since the poet in question hasn't yet posted any poetry on this site for critique, that seems kind of like using a backdoor to enter when the front door is wide open.

But I am surprised, Roger, you find such a blurred line between General Talk & General Announcements. I find them to have very distinct characters, and serve very different purposes.

But, my minor point having been made, I shall seek the exit so as not to come across as going on and on and on and on (and on and on and on) (and on) about next to nothing.

Nemo
Unread 08-28-2015, 08:42 PM

All things considered, General Announcements is probably the best place for a general announcement about one's poetry website.

No harm, no foul, Erik.
Unread 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM

Well thanks everyone for the information. I'll take note and heed what I have learned from this.
Unread 08-28-2015, 08:50 PM

Default A suggestion

As a convenience, perhaps we should have a single list/thread for everyone's blog/website.

-o-
Unread 08-28-2015, 11:22 PM

My guess is that Erik is following the advice expounded so often by self-named gurus.

Promote your work.
Join poetry sites to get your name out there.
Make a web page.
Get your name out there.

That isn't what Eratosphere is about. Eratosphere is a workshop dedicated to improving craftmanship. It isn't a site to promote sloppy work.

And yes, I'm sorry to say it but the very first poem at the linked site tells the reader that it is way too early for you to claim the title of "poet". The overblown and convoluted diction of your crits (that I've read so far) indicate the same.

Let me say this: My heart goes out to every person, young or old, male, female or other, of every race and creed who has a strong desire to communicate with the wider world through the medium of poetry.

So this is my advice. Learn the craft. Don't put yourself "out there" before you are ready. And believe me, friend, you are not ready. But wanting to be a poet is the first step and the most important one. That is where everyone starts.

Post some work on the boards and get feedback. There are some really good advisors available here who will tell you what you need to hear. And there are sometimes some who will praise anything that includes letters of the alphabet in an arrangement that can be recognized as words--ignore the praise and concentrate on improving that which is flawed.

If you work at it, Erik, you will become better and better. And in a year or less, you will understand why I say this and will be embarrassed that you listened to the promote, promote, promote parrots.
Unread 08-29-2015, 12:40 AM

Erik is your first language English? because your prose style suggests otherwise.
Unread 08-29-2015, 12:52 AM

Thank you all for informing me on protocol. I'll proceed accordingly.

Erik
Unread 08-29-2015, 03:19 AM

Erik, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, don't. Stay with us - at least until this latest kerfuffle dies down.

I have been reading the comments you've posted on other people's work and if more members went to that much trouble the Sphere would be spinning higher and brighter. I include myself there. You took a lot of flak and rose above it and I was pleased you'd started commenting again.

When I first saw your post on GT I thought the same as Michael and wondered if I should alert a mod, on the quiet, to shift it swiftly and tell you privately. I wish I had and I apologise for not having done it.

I now see that you are being told to "post some work" when you've only just notched up enough crits to do it. It reminds me of a Yorkshire expression "Ee, be buggered - yer can't do right fer doin' wrong". I'm smiling again. You smile, too?
Unread 08-29-2015, 03:53 AM

Ann's right Erik. I went and fixed a post where I had been playing about with you as if you were a long time associate. Poor manners on my part. Stick around, your excitement about poetry and what it is capable of is a good thing.

Andrew
Closed Thread