Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-14-2017, 05:34 AM

The last time I remember hearing that "Mother of All..." construction was when Saddam Hussein used it. Which seems somehow appropriate.
Unread 04-14-2017, 06:14 AM

The mother of all consumables. Right now there is a board meeting being set up to determine how to get more of this product into circulation so that production can be increased.
Unread 04-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Listening to some jerk-off on Fox droning on about The Surge under Geirge W. Bush. Despite the Iraq War's widespread unpopularity, it is clear that the political class has learned nothing. (MSNBC sounds pretty similar, minus some of the fist-pumping.)
Unread 04-15-2017, 09:10 AM

We are living in a Michael Bay movie.
Unread 04-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Here's a poem written by A. Ginsberg over the course of forty years: Hum Bom.

It's practically unreadable. It's practically incomprehensible. it's practically prophesy.

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/hum-bom/
Unread 04-19-2017, 02:00 AM

Oh. The "armada" sent to North Korea is actually on its way to Australia.

So what's the truth of it. Did Trump make a mistake about the location of Korea? Did he get the wrong end of a briefing about a planned movement of the fleet? Did he say what he said so he could sneer "suckers!" at one of the most volatile nations on the planet?

Or, the world being round, is Australia a refuelling stop and is he hoping to sneak up on Korea from the other side?

I am afraid. Comfort me.
Unread 04-19-2017, 03:25 AM

Just another bit of verbal confusion, Ann. What Trump meant to say was that he was sending the fleet to frighten the Koalas.
Unread 04-19-2017, 03:59 AM

I now read (CNN) that it was a "miscommunication between the Pentagon and the White House". We're all doomed.
Unread 04-19-2017, 04:48 AM

Nonsense, Ann. Nobody's doomed. Not even the Korean fatty.
Unread 01-28-2023, 03:40 PM
Distinguished Guest

Hi. Actual American Indian here. What a lively and engaging thread, how could I have missed this? Thanks to Julie for her email today alerting me to this.

The casual dismissals of Senator Warren's infraction here are at least as offensive as the racial rhetoric. Let's maybe look at what some real live Indian activists had to say about it. First, Navajo journalist and activist, Jacqueline Keeler:

https://tiyospayenow.blogspot.com/20...ttachment.html

"I’d say Sen. Warren’s continued assertion without a shred of evidence of a single connection to anyone from the Cherokee or Delaware nations is unacceptable to the citizens of those nations. You should see the responses I get from Native people when I share on social media even the mildest mention of her. Her insistence on it, even after genealogists found zero ties in her family tree, and in light of citizens of Cherokee and Delaware nations asking her to stop doing so is harmful in that it degrades their nations' sovereign rights to determine who their citizens are and who they are not. As head of state of the sole super power in the world, or even as a US Senator, she must deal with them on a political level. And I should note, in fact, the only ties genealogists found that could be verified between members of her family tree and any Indian nation were as Indian killers."

Now a bona fide citizen enrolled in the Cherokee Nation, activist Rebecca Nagle, writing at HuffPost:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/opini...b08aaf7a96cab2

"Chuck Hoskin, the secretary of state of the Cherokee Nation ― the tribe Warren claims to descend from ― issued a statement that the move was 'inappropriate and wrong,' and the senator was 'undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage.' Meanwhile, several Native critics published op-eds calling Warren’s decision 'cringeworthy,' 'a vicious rejection of Native sovereignty,' 'pure opportunism' and 'highly destructive to Native people.'”

As an aside, Hoskin is now Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. He was secretary of state under former Principal Chief Bill John Baker, who used to follow me on Twitter and retweet my posts, although he is no longer active on the site. It's a pity because Chief Bill was an inspiring, ingenious orator and writer who seemed to like me. Find and read him if you can.

With respect to all,
Jennifer