Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 04-24-2024, 12:17 PM

Matt, I'm having some trouble discerning the logic of the process that's occurred here, and what it is that has actually come back as "him", with no bones, no flesh and no skin, but what you do with it, as a poem, is great. I too like the nifty slant rhymes.

Why the three l's? Is that significant, or just a fun frill on your part?

Cheers

David
Unread 04-25-2024, 12:12 PM

Susan and David,

Many thanks both!

David,

After have the parts of him that give the wolf sustenance have been digested, the rest of him is shat back out into the world, and then he claims to have been reborn. So, there's a suggestion that he's that which has (re)emerged into the world, and the rest of him has been consumed/digested/absorbed by the wolf-thing. If we take this literally, we wouldn't expect him to be made of flesh or skin or bones. I guess you might expect bone fragments in carnivore faeces, but not bones per se, or flesh or skin. And besides, this is a wolf-thing. A carnivore, for sure, but not necessarily a member of the natural world. More metaphorically, I was thinking that it's a transformation of sorts.

On "wullluf", it could well have been a typo or I might have thought it looked good at the time. I needed a false title for the thread to hide the real ones from search engines, so it probably only got a few seconds thought.

best,

Matt

Last edited by Matt Q; 04-25-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Unread 04-29-2024, 10:32 AM

Hi Matt,

"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose" as Dylan once sang. I feel this chap to have been ravaged by the 'wolf-thing' called life, whether materially or in terms of emotional or mental strain, to such an extent that he is left with nothing, and yet ultimately finds some strange liberation in this. "His world's no longer made of offal" suggests some kind of spiritual transcendence beyond the flesh. The poem is darker and more sly than that interpretation suggests, though. We don't really know what he is thinking or feeling, we only have the speculations of the speaker/onlooker. And the closing couplet is deliciously sinister, with the suggestion that being devoured by the wolf-thing is an inevitability that we have to "steel ourselves" against. Maybe not all of us will survive the wolfish crucible as well as this chap. If indeed, he did.

It made me smile and it made me think. And as John says, it transported me to your own unique voice-world.

Mark
Unread 04-30-2024, 05:18 AM

Hi Mark,

Many thanks! I'm always interested to know how people read my poems, and you're the first to do so for this poem. I like your reading of this. I'd actually seen the close as a culmination of the onlookers' speculation. Has has achieved liberation or not? In the end they decide they want what he's got, and so they hang around the wolf-thing looking tasty -- hoping to be eaten, knowing it'll be painful/messy. I hadn't seen the close could be read the way you did, but I do now, and I like that that reading too.

best,

Matt