Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 06-21-2023, 08:14 PM

Red face Lisa Gerrard

Any Dead Can Dance fans here? My portrait of Lisa Gerrard using black oiled pencil. What I love about her work is that she sings in her own language. It is truly something that is unique and is contradictory to the contemporary music scene. She recorded a poetry album with Klaus Schulze around 2009-2010 entitled Come Quietly. You can find it on YouTube.

Critiques encouraged,

Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211008_191234-2 (1) (1).jpg (92.5 KB, 731 views)

Last edited by Clayton Redden; 06-21-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Unread 08-05-2023, 07:34 AM

Hi Clayton, and welcome to the Sphere,

It's always fun to do pencil portraits!

I'm primarily a collage artist so drawing is not my forte. But if you're looking for critique I'd say what works best for me are the proportions and the 'gaze', but what works least well is the shading, which could do with some refinement, in particular in terms of the darker shading underneath the cheekbones.

But if you're drawing an artist you love for pleasure, then these are minor things, and thank you so much for posting!

best

Sarah-Jane
Unread 08-05-2023, 06:57 PM

Hi Clayton,

I agree with Sarah-Jane that you've captured the gaze/expression. As we know from the Mona Lisa, that is an accomplishment. Even so, I think your next portrait would benefit from some anatomy study. I am attaching a link that identifies parts of the lips and the space above the lips. You've drawn the top lip too flat across. It is missing the part called the cupid's bow and it is also missing the philtrum, which is that dimpled area directly under the middle of the nose that flares into the cupid's bow. You'll find many examples if you image search "philtrum." Keep drawing!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAU

[Clayton, I forgot the link and now I' m realizing it ties into an advertisement, but I'll leave it here because it serves the purpose I intended, but also gives some other pictures of lips in the process]

Jim

Last edited by Jim Ramsey; 08-06-2023 at 05:40 AM. Reason: add link, correct Sarah-Jane's name