This site is designed for the serious practitioner of poetry who has read widely and learned the rudiments of poetic technique. Eratosphere does not offer a beginners' forum.
NEW MEMBERS may respond to existing poetry threads but may not start any new ones of their own until they have offered at least 15 critiques, AND until at least one week following membership approval, unless by special permission from any Eratosphere moderator.
Warning: Unauthorized reposting or reproduction of any work posted to Eratosphere's workshop boards for critique is a violation of copyright, and is unacceptable under any circumstances. For further information, see our full Copyright Advisory for Workshop Posts here.____________________________________________
This limitation is part of the registration agreement for all registrants who signed up after January 21, 2004, and applies to all critical forums.
Also, for the benefit of brand new members or any long-timer who may have forgotten the forum rules, (highly recommended reading!)
please limit your new threads to one poem in the combined forums in any 7-day period
to give time for expanded critique and allow other people a chance to have their poems critiqued before being forced off the first page. We also ask you to critique several other poems for every one you post. The more you post to the threads of other poets the more likely that your thread will attract commentary.
Please post revisions in the original thread, if it is still on the board, rather than taking up a new line!
You can do this using the edit function to paste the revision above your original poem. Be sure to mark which which is the revised version. And to make sure your revision gets noticed, post a note at the bottom of the thread to push it back up.
Contact any moderator with posting problems.
______ AN ADMONITION NOTE TO BEGINNERS & THEIR CHAMPIONS ______
It id necessary to remind everyone, especially beginners and/or those who want to champion them here how Eratosphere works:
- Eratosphere is not for beginners. There are several other forums out there who cater to beginners and we encourage beginners to find one that fits them better -- Google is your friend.
- If you're a beginner and post a weak poem, or a non-beginner who posts an anemic poem -- usually as a result of rushing to post without sufficient revision -- expect tough and even brutal critique.
- Still, despite statement 1), we do tolerate beginners who are willing to take tough critique as described in 2), to progressively improve their writing.
- Arguing with critique is against Eratosphere guidelines, especially, if you're a beginner, as evidenced by your post(s). Repeating this pattern of behavior might lead to temporary or permanent ban.
- Also, arguing in proxy for a beginner or beginner-poem in an attempt to counteract well-meaning, albeit tough or even brutal critique of others, is considered disruptive, and is deemed a cliquish attempt to diffuse the high standards that Eratosphere is known for. Repeating this pattern of behavior might also lead to temporary or permanent ban from Eratosphere.
Now that you've all been duly warned, especially those who fall in the categories 4) and 5) above -- carry on ... but be mindful of how you do so!
(for the Eratosphere Staff)