Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:04 AM

Default 72 Hours

I know this thread has a life expectancy of a gastrotrich, but I thought it might be cathartic to speculate what more Trump will do to cement his legacy in the 72 hours he has left. (Hopefully no more harm).
What will he do? Or is he done? Pardons are about all he has left (though he has unleashed violence and now that it is out of the barn there’s no telling how or when we can quell it and put it back).

Soon we will know.

As for pardoning himself (WTF?) here is the act of presidential pardons explained and how it has been used historically.

Here is an excerpt:

“So far as I know, in all of Anglo-American history, no monarch, royal governor, president, or other executive officer has tried to pardon himself. The reason, I think, is that the idea of a self-pardon is so antithetical to the constitutional structures of England and the United States, and to the purpose that executive pardon power serves in those structures, that no one has ever had the effrontery to try it. A president who tried to pardon himself would not be relying on some deep, if heretofore unappreciated, reservoir of constitutional authority. He would instead be trying to slither through a heretofore untried loophole. In the case of an ordinary criminal defendant, one might merely shrug at the audacity of the dodge. But a miscreant president is no ordinary malefactor. And permitting presidential self-pardons would not merely allow individual miscarriages of justice, but would erase a structural barrier to tyranny. I do not believe the Supreme Court would countenance that result.”

If he goes out with a flair of military pomp and circumstance and to the tune "Hail to the Chief" I will throw up.