Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-10-2024, 04:58 AM

Default short story / flash

One of us

“Are you one of us?” they asked as I crawled into their camp, barely conscious, weakened by my wounds and by my hunger, my body and clothing shredded by the thorn trees in the scrubland I had stumbled through for what may have been days or may have been weeks, my maps lost long ago in the mountains, my radio smashed – and useless even before that, in this vast wilderness.

When I came to in the cave, they washed my wounds and dripped water into my mouth from a rag. They gave me small pieces of dried meat and berries to chew. “Are you one of us?” they asked again, and I could only grunt in reply. A small sound, as easily taken as assent as denial.

In the weeks of my recovery, all who I met asked me the same question. And again the next day, and the next. At first I thought it a form of greeting, but I came to see that it was never a question they asked each other. It did not seem to matter how I answered. Each response was met with the same silence, the same flicker of something that might have been suspicion or might have been puzzlement, or even amusement.

Perhaps because I wanted to prove something to myself, or to them, or perhaps because I did not want to die alone wandering the trackless wilderness, I stayed with them. Huddled together with them in the dark of the long winters, mingling the warmth of my body with theirs, and basked with them in the weak sun of summer. I mastered the strange inflections of their vowels, became expert at trapping the large rodents that were their main source of meat. I wore the same clothing they did, made of rodent skins and coarse cloth woven from the bark of the thorn trees. I took myself a mate.

But still each day they asked me, “Are you one us?” And still there was no answer I could give that seemed to satisfy them. In time, I ceased to wonder if they would stop.

Then one spring day, as dusk was leaching the last traces of warmth from the air, I saw the figure of a stranger staggering through the thorn trees towards the camp. I ran to him, catching him as he fell. His limbs were torn and bleeding, his clothing in tatters. His body was gaunt and he was shivering. He looked up at me, his eyes barely able to focus on my face. As I held him, I asked him, “Are you one of us?” Then threading my arm under his shoulders, I helped him to the cave.

--------------------------------------------

P1 "asked me" -> "asked"

P2, cut "that served as their shelter" after "cave"

P2, "just as" ->"as"

P3 "or just because I did not want ..." -> "or because I did not want"

P$ & 5 removed full stop after ending quotation mark.

P4 "woven the bark" -> "woven from the bark"

P5, "they would ever stop" -> "they would stop" ; "I could give them" -> "I could give"

P6, "last few traces" -> "last traces"

Last edited by Matt Q; 05-13-2024 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo