Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 05-26-2024, 10:59 PM

When I was in college, I took a class called The Bible as Literature. It was a great introduction to all of the riveting stories in the Bible and to the poetry of the lines. We used the KJV, and we didn't read every word, but did focus on all of the parts that keep showing up in literary allusions and artistic representations. It has been invaluable to me as an English professor and a reader and viewer of art. We also learned the historical context of the writing of the Bible, as well as some of the interpretive issues.

Susan
Unread 05-27-2024, 12:16 PM

I tried this some years ago, probably at a similar climacteric to yours, Mark. Only got so far. (How far? Can't exactly remember, but probably to about Kings 2 or thereabouts.)

I couldn't help thinking of Randolph Churchill's comment, in the late stages of WW2, when Evelyn Waugh and a friend bet him £20 that he could not read the whole Bible in a fortnight.

I'd be interested to know how far you get. I found Joshua particularly trying.
Unread 06-01-2024, 06:36 AM

Well, I'm nearly through Leviticus. Long way to go. Goodness, God liked to keep things in order didn't he? The ultimate micro-manager.

John, I really do understand how much more I might be getting out of this with a more modern translation and lots of footnotes. I am going to stick with my nice King James Everyman, though. I am alternating it a bit in the car with David Suchet reading the NIV on YouTube. The whole Bible on YouTube read by Poirot! What a world! I enjoy just letting it seep into me and engaging with what I can and doing my own occasional googling. It's all absolutely fascinating and I'm determined to finish. Maybe then I'll dig deeper. The Oxford book does look good. I've really enjoyed our back and forth about this off the Sphere and I'll get back to you.

Cameron, I'm looking forward to Job. I will have gained something of his patience by the time I get there. You are blessed to count Alice Oswald as a friend btw. Her Oxford Lectures were superb and she's a brilliant poet. I have her first book, The Thing in the Gap-stone Stile and the remarkable Dart.

Glenn, I had a look. He's a little too invested in Catholicism for me and I really wasn't too keen on some of his other videos I found with regards to the Church's stance on gay people. I'd like someone with a more objective approach to hold my hand through it, I think, rather than someone who sees The Bible as a guide book, which I just can't get on board with. Thanks for the good luck!

David, yes, "Isn't God a shit?" wasn't it? Haha. Exodus was a whole lot of fun. I'm ploughing on.

Thanks to everyone else who commented.

Last edited by Mark McDonnell; 06-01-2024 at 09:06 AM.
Unread 06-01-2024, 10:59 AM

Hi Mark,

If you're looking for a side-quest ...

Quite a few years back I picked up a copy of "The Art of Biblical Poetry" by Robert Alter in a charity shop. I didn't finish it, but it was interesting enough that I read a fair chunk of it. What most interested me at the time was his treatment of parallelism and how that worked in Biblical verse. But there are chapters on other aspects of Biblical poetry, and also specific books of the Bible. One the book of Job for example. Another on the Song of Songs.

Anyway, just thought it might be an interesting companion on your journey. Published 1985 but still in print.

-Matt
Unread 06-03-2024, 10:37 AM

For anyone interested in a nice study copy, I've found the Thompson Chain-Reference version pretty good:

https://www.amazon.ca/Thompson-Chain.../dp/0310459974

My copy is from the 80s so I can't speak to the current one, but I found mine very easy to read. And there is a reference system.
Unread 06-13-2024, 02:03 AM

Mark, you're right to stick to the King James Versioin. Whatever one thinks of the contents, some of it is very fine as literature. And 'Genesis' is probably the first work of fantasy-fiction.
Unread 06-13-2024, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Q View Post
Quite a few years back I picked up a copy of "The Art of Biblical Poetry" by Robert Alter in a charity shop. I didn't finish it, but it was interesting enough that I read a fair chunk of it. What most interested me at the time was his treatment of parallelism and how that worked in Biblical verse.
Whether you read Alter or not (and it sounds like good advice), do read something about parallelism in Hebrew poetry when you get to “Psalms.” I’ve heard and read psalms all my life, but never suspected the poetic principle they’re based on.
Unread 06-19-2024, 03:54 AM

What a quiet shock of unexpected domestic drama the Book of Ruth is, after all the massacres and razing of cities. It serves, no doubt, to introduce the lineage of King David. I suspect he's going to be a major player.

The Old Testament is more of a linear narrative than I thought it was going to be. Not sure what I expected but I'm enjoying it. Anyway, ploughing on. I'm sure there's more smiting to come.

Thanks for all the reading recommendations.
Unread 06-19-2024, 06:34 PM

I taught Genesis many times, latterly in the Crumb/Alter version. It was an eye-opener for the students. Especially stories like Dinah.
Unread 06-19-2024, 09:28 PM

Shouldn’t have posted

Last edited by John Riley; 06-20-2024 at 04:54 AM.