Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 10-01-2023, 08:43 AM

Jim,

I stopped short of posting some Kurt Cobain covers because it raises questions of copyright and "responsibility to the dead". I doubt the families of Sinatra would care but I reckon Yoko would have objections. It's interesting how close Oasis sound to Lennon anyway, as you pointed out, because the C major chord progressions and vocals are similar.

But these trends are out there for the spotting and FWIW I think music is more a risk from AI than poetry.
Unread 10-04-2023, 02:13 PM

I'm not the patriotic sort. But this cover by David Bowie is stunning in the context of 9-11. Not to mention it's one of a handful of songs written by Paul Simon that put him in the company of great American songwriters.

This one, too.

Last edited by Jim Moonan; 10-04-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Unread 10-04-2023, 03:45 PM

Jim, it's a great song indeed. I loved it for years before realizing it doesn't rhyme.

Also, many of its lines are pentameter, which you don't find much in popular music.

Last edited by Roger Slater; 10-04-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Unread 10-06-2023, 06:06 PM

Nah. I'll let that go. Carry on...

Last edited by James Brancheau; 10-06-2023 at 10:24 PM.
Unread 10-10-2023, 04:41 AM

I sometimes feel like Roadrunner.

https://youtu.be/OQhOcDFbflQ?si=_PrG8If-5saIW1WL

I used to be in touch regularly with a famous guitarist in the UK who would complain to me about such things as being recognised too easily at LAX. I asked him what his favourite song from another artist was and he said this:

https://youtu.be/-PQDNWpCQfE?si=V5tKbb7Rzujn_T-Q
Unread 10-20-2023, 11:56 AM

Lennon at his most desperate best. Unleashed rock n roll
https://youtu.be/q0iD2j3jFoY?si=fKeLZRMAYVagqfeJ

Unread 10-23-2023, 11:24 PM

A lovely painted film, available only until December 15. Sort of villanelle-like: things keep repeating until you lose interest, but then they turn out not to be what they seemed at first (or second, or third) glance.

Don't read the synopsis below the video. It's full of spoilers. Better to just make discoveries for yourself.

Iizuma Fair by Sumito Sakakibara
https://vimeo.com/697947484
Unread 10-31-2023, 05:54 PM

Great film, Julie. I'm not villanelle-oriented though I can see your point. An ekphrastic villanelle : ) It's ambiguous in its rolling out of what is evolving/revolving, but it is somehow familiar at a subterranean level. The further it went on the more I became acclimated to it and could make some sense of it on my own personal level. Then, as it came to the end, it surprised me with its 360 degree vision. It reminded me of what good graffitti might look like if it were animated.

I wish I could have commented on every post contributed to this thread.

Sooner or later, this one had to show up. Dylan live ("straight from the grave") Manchester UK 1966 (The "Judas" version)

It is really two separate songs merged into one ecstatic song: Musically, it is transcendent. It nearly lifts me off my feet from the very first note. Lyrically, it is his best poem, imo (at the moment). I can’t think of another piece of music that gives me more (at the moment).

Here's another live performance at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965. He had played earlier "unplugged" on acoustic guitar and then came back with an electric guitar and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band with Al Kooper. They booed him. He didn’t return to the Newport folk festival for 37 years. In 2002 he made a return appearance wearing a wig and a beard.

If you want to recall the schism that was Dylan’s cataclysmic move to electric, here's a good wiki entry on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...an_controversy

Unread 10-31-2023, 07:14 PM

If there are any fans of Flann O'Brien out there, then here is a lovely thing. Eamon Morrissey's monologue - The Brother- based mostly on his Irish Times column Cruiskeen Lawn, The definition is a bit blurred and the sound is a little out of synch but the performance is perfect. I must have watched it 20 times and still love it,

The Brother
Unread 11-09-2023, 03:07 PM

Here's a Dylan cover by Rosanne Cash, with John Levanthal playing along with masterful guitar playing. I'd never realized how lovely a melody it was till these two played it for me. Farewell Angelina