Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-09-2024, 10:05 PM

Oh, dear. My acquaintance with David was actually through Sonnet Central, which I found and joined some years before the Sphere (I learned of the Sphere there, and by the time I began participating on this site, I don't remember seeing much of him here). To my perception, he was one of the handful of iconic heavy hitters there, so I was delighted to find myself able to resonate so naturally with his work (since prevailing tastes and mine don't often line up too squarely). I found his approach lyrical and anchored in tradition in a way that had (and has) become increasingly rare, even in formal poetry, so it was encouraging and refreshing to me that he seemed to have found broad acceptance, at least among fellow formal poets. What's more, his conscientious craftsmanship and personal dignity set a great example for all.

More recently, several years ago, I connected with him there one on one when I was trying to get a technical website question answered. Considering who he was (and who I wasn't!), I was quite surprised at how humbly, affably, and thoroughly he responded--how much he tried to help little old me. I've recently launched an effort to collect contemporary formal poetry books, so I certainly must get hold of his collection now. I am sorry to hear of the passing of this great poet and man.

Last edited by Alexandra Baez; 03-09-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Unread 03-10-2024, 08:04 AM

Whatever the Welsh word for mensch is, that was David.
Unread 03-10-2024, 08:22 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this news. David was a great colleague on the Sphere and a kind and supportive person offline as well. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

My favorite is David's "Wede Away" for all the reasons outlined in my Foreword to his lovely collection Passing Through the Woods.

Last edited by Catherine Chandler; 03-23-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Unread 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM

My favorite poem of David's: My Bulkhead Light

David clearly wrote it for the "But You Can't Write a Poem About That!" thread, but I like his later claim, which is in perfect keeping with the solemnity and dignity of the poem itself:

Quote:
Julie, yes, I wrote that one because I live adjacent to the churchyard where Gray wrote his Elegy, and I thought, let's kill two birds with one stone. Visitors to the churchyard now have the opportunity to admire my bulkhead light, which is on the garage wall.
David's efforts were key to securing legal permissions to publish M.A. Griffith's posthumous collection, and to her obituaries in the Sunday Times and the Bournemouth Echo. And his wise, witty presence at both Sonnet Central and Eratosphere encouraged many of us scribblers to keep honing our craft.

It was a great treat to meet him in London when Jayne organized a get-together when I visited with my then-sixteen-year-old daughter, who found him a very entertaining conversationalist. I was very jealous because she was sitting closer to him and laughing pretty much nonstop, while I was farther away and had trouble hearing him.

He was elected to the South Bucks District Council at least twice.

Last edited by Julie Steiner; 03-10-2024 at 05:12 PM.
Unread 03-10-2024, 04:13 PM

Very sad to hear this. I met him a few times at West Chester and once in England. He was always very good company.
As I remember it, he deliberately chose to live by the churchyard because he so loved the Elegy.
Unread 03-10-2024, 05:09 PM

My favorite post of his on Sonnet Central:

Quote:
Jan 29, 2004

We've had a few issues recently with posters who take exception to honest and critical comment on their work. And quite right too! After all, if you post to showcase, why should you expect or accept criticism, let alone suggestions for improvement?

It's a problem too for our commentators, who work misguidedly and for nothing to deliver unwelcome suggestions, and are rewarded, naturally, with abuse. To tell the truth, it's one of the reasons I don't comment very often these days.

Anyway, here's the solution. If you don't want criticism, please append "(Praise Only)" to the subject.

Also, if possible, please give the number of times and places the poem in question has been published, and some indication of your own importance (eg a description of your day job, academic qualifications, etc). This will help us to assess the correct degree of sycophancy when we respond.

Happy sonneteering!

Regards,
David
Unread 03-10-2024, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris O'Carroll View Post
Whatever the Welsh word for mensch is, that was David.
I haven't come across that word, Chris, having only used "Hon Mensh" in a light-hearted way to mean an Honorable Mention in The Oldie and The Spectator competitions.

But, on looking it up, I found:
Mensch (Yiddish: מענטש, mentsh, from Middle High German Mensch, from Old High German mennisco; akin to Old English human being, man) means "a person of integrity and honor". According to Leo Rosten, a mensch is "someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character."

David was, indeed, precisely that.

Our houses are 77 miles apart, so on a couple of occasions we'd meet at a nice little country pub for lunch, which was roughly halfway for both of us.
We all have our happy memories of time spent, or contact with David. It was a privilege to have known him.

Jayne
Unread 03-11-2024, 08:21 AM

More years than I care to remember and in more than the odd place in pavement my friend of yesteryear.
Unread 03-11-2024, 11:44 AM

Yes, a true mensch who guided me at Sonnet Central and the Sphere.
Unread 03-14-2024, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Such a sad news! David was ever present at the Sphere and I also had the pleasure of meeting him in person at West Chester. He'll be truly missed! My condolences to all his family and friends.