Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 03-25-2024, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default Tribute to David Anthony. (Books available)

Our much-loved friend and wonderful poet, David Anthony, died on 6th March 2024.
His funeral is to be held on Monday 8th April at St Giles Church, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, SL2 4NZ, England, at 11.30am.

Passing through the Woods, with a Foreword by our own Cathy Chandler, is a poetry book that "regales the reader with a variety of skillfully crafted, sensitively rendered poems", and "David's greatest strength lies in his exquisite sonnets, and the reader is treated to well over two dozen of them, in various permutations, in Passing through the Woods."

Of David's 1st book, Words To Say, the late, great Timothy Murphy said: "When I was asked for a description of the verses of David Anthony, the first things that came to my mind were the dignity and gravity of his work. His judgements are as measured as his verse. Of course for the light of heart, he also writes a wicked versified joke."

I will be reading some of David's poems at the funeral, and his wife Brigid has kindly consented to copies of these two books being sent to Spherians in return for a donation to Eratosphere, in order to help Alex to maintain the smooth running of this amazing site that we all love - and of which David was extremely fond. Indeed, it's true to say that many of our paths would not even have crossed had it not been for Eratosphere!

Please let me know if you are happy to pay the postage plus a donation, and I will send you the books. (If you already own them, they're the perfect gift; any lover of poetry should have them on their bookshelves.)

Below is a link to photos of David - the family man, the wonderful poet and a truly lovely man.

https://david-gwilym-anthony.muchloved.com/

Jayne
Unread 03-30-2024, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Thank you, Jayne, for this heartfelt tribute to David Anthony, a pillar of the Eratosphere and a cherished friend to many of us. His departure leaves a void that will be deeply felt by all who knew him and appreciated his work. David's poetic genius, especially his sonnets, has left an indelible mark on my own understanding of poetry, and I'm sure many others feel the same.

It's indeed surprising and somewhat disheartening to see a lack of response to such significant news. Let's remember David by not only cherishing his memory but also by supporting the beautiful initiative Jayne has proposed. For those of us 'over the pond' who can attend the funeral, let's come together to celebrate David's life and contributions. For those who cannot, acquiring his books as Jayne suggested is a wonderful way to honor his legacy and support our beloved Eratosphere in the process.

Jayne, your efforts to commemorate David's life and work do not go unnoticed. Thank you for giving us a path to remember him by and for keeping his spirit alive within our community.

Let's all hold David and his family in our thoughts during this time, and continue to support and appreciate each other in our shared love for good poetry, good writing, good critique ... and of Eratosphere!

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 04-11-2024, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks for that lovely post, Alex.

My husband and I attended David’s funeral on Monday. It was the most amazing send-off. The church was packed and the service was lovely. I read three of David’s poems, and there were tributes from friends and former colleagues. The weather was glorious, too, after incessant rain for weeks.

After the service everyone walked just across the road to David and Brigid’s beautiful house, where a huge marquee was set up in the garden. There was champagne (David would definitely have approved of that!), delicious hot food and a buffet for all the family, neighbours and friends.

I was sitting next to David’s older sister Jane when she produced a poem that she absolutely loved. I caught only a glimpse, but I recognised the name at the bottom. It was my (and many others’) friend, Janice D. Soderling. Jane was excited that I knew her – as the poem was going to be read the next morning, at David’s interment, for just immediate family. It was about the author’s brother. (Janice is going to email it to me; she, too, was thrilled that the poem had such significance for David’s sister.)

I’m still hoping more Sphereans will want to acquire David’s two wonderful books of poetry from me, for themselves and/or as gifts. Here’s my all-time favourite triolet that is SO moving I wouldn’t have been able to read it in the church without tears falling.

Mother’s Day

I hold the phone remembering –
no need to call today.
Routine’s my life raft; as I cling
I hold the phone, remembering
a loss. It is a cruel thing,
this trick the mind can play.
I hold the phone, remembering.
No need to call today.

That, and many, many more wonderful poems are in Words To Say and Passing Through the Woods. Everyone ought to have them on their bookshelves. Please buy them, and at the same time assist Alex to keep the Sphere running smoothly!

Jayne
Unread 04-11-2024, 11:25 PM

Thanks very much for the report, Jayne, and for your efforts both to honor David and advance the Sphere. Thanks for the news of Janice, too.
Unread 04-12-2024, 08:10 AM

Thanks, Jayne. That sounds like a superb send-off.

I remember when David published his last volume - a "new and selected". I have it here, along with the earlier volumes on which it is based. Good poetry.

Last edited by Ann Drysdale; 04-16-2024 at 05:29 AM. Reason: I mentioned a review that I have since failed to find, so have deleted the reference.
Unread 04-15-2024, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Jayne, for this report! Your spirited efforts in keeping David's memory alive is much appreciated. And yes, thanks too for news of Janice--it's wonderful that she could participate.

Cheers,
...Alex
Unread 04-15-2024, 05:18 PM

I have an earlier (I think) book of David's, Talking to Lord Newborough, which he signed for me at West Chester--and I return to it regularly. I shall be glad to have these, too, to remember him by. He was always so pleasant to talk to, both here and on the few occasions when our paths crossed in the "real" world.

I send my thoughts to his family and close friends whose sense of loss must be great indeed. I hope there is some comfort in knowing that his poetry friends miss him, too, and more in remembering his rich life.

I'll send a check/cheque when you let me know about the postage, Jayne--to cover those costs plus a bit more in David's memory to support eratosphere.

Cheers,
--Simon
Unread 04-16-2024, 04:16 AM

Yes, huge thanks to Jayne! I have Passing through the Woods and love it, and I'd be delighted to buy Words to Say.
Warm Regards,
Mary
Unread 04-21-2024, 04:36 PM
Administrator

My apologies for the late response, folks, but I've had some other important issues to deal with recently.

Thank you, Simon.
I'm glad you've got David's book Talking to Lord Newborough as there are no more copies available.
Posting Passing Through the Woods and Words to Say to the US will cost me about $15.00. The actual price on the books is just over $11 and $12 respectively, but, just the postage - plus any donation to Alex to keep Eratosphere running smoothly - will be very much appreciated.

If you haven't already got David's books I can only reiterate that I guarantee you will enjoy reading his poems. At the same time your donation will help Alex to protect this forum that means so much to us all.

Mary,
Thank you! I'll bring you a copy of Words To Say when we meet up next month.

Jayne
Unread Yesterday, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Simon,
I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'll PM my email address to you and you can send money via Paypal. Would that work for you? If not, I'm sure we can think of something else. Many thanks for your support.

I hope some more Sphereans will ask for David's books. I called on David's wife Brigid on my way home from London a couple of days ago; she and I have copies that we really don't want to remain in a cardboard box. We want them "out there"!

Jayne