Eratosphere Forums - Metrical Poetry, Free Verse, Fiction, Art, Critique, Discussions Able Muse - a review of poetry, prose and art

Forum Left Top

Notices

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Default Brand New Moderators Announcement

Dear Eratosphereans,

I'm pleased to announce brand new Eratosphere moderators! The first appointment is for a forum which is now catching up in quality and liveliness to other top Eratosphere forums, and as such is reaping just reward with its first fulltime moderator. I'm referring to the Drills & Amusements forum, and the new moderator who is a master of the light, the funnies and sillies is John Whitworth. Our second brand new moderator takes charge of our premier forum, Musing on Mastery which has been quiet for some time due to other commitments that have prevented the current moderator, Paul Lake, from active contribution. Our new moderator for Musing is Gregory Dowling who will bring new enthusiasm and critical skills to enliven it once again. These are two eminently qualified moderators at the top of their craft. They are no strangers to the Sphere and we're indeed lucky to have them as part of the Eratosphere Staff as you can see from the brief bios below:
  • Gregory Dowling grew up in Bristol, UK, and studied at Oxford University. Since 1979 he has lived in Italy; he is a professor of American literature at the University of Venice. Apart from his academic interests he has published four thrillers, set in England and Italy, and he has written and regularly updates the sightseeing pages for the Time Out Guide to Venice. His most recent publication is a guidebook to Byron's Venice.
  • John Whitworth is one of those fattish, baldish, backward-looking, provincial poets in which England is so rich (perhaps too rich). His ninth collection, Being the Bad Guy, was published by Peterloo in November 2007. Les Murray likes it. Good on him. You might also consider Writing Poetry published by A & C Black, one of those how-to books; it has run to a second edition and is jolly good, though he (the poet) would say that, wouldn’t he?

Please join me in giving a hearty Eratosphere welcome to John and Gregory!

Cheers,

...Alex
Unread 02-03-2009, 03:01 AM

Absolutely fantastic news! I'm thrilled, and gasping with anticipation!

Three cheers for John and Gregory!

Muse and Amuse us, Able Men!!!

Cally
Unread 02-03-2009, 05:23 AM

John and Gregory, thank you so much for your willingness to do this. We're really, really lucky.

Maryann
Unread 02-03-2009, 06:39 AM

Two of my favourite people whom I have long admired and respected. Thank you both of you for accepting the peaked cap and the service revolver.
Janet
Unread 02-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Wonderful news, and welcome both Greg and John to the moderator fold. Greg's presence will benefit Eratospherian striving to attain the standards of the masters and John will prolong our lives through regular dispension of reasons to smiile and chuckle. Lovely to have you both next-door.

I hope that Paul will continue to participate as often as his busy schedule allows and will keep us posted on what is happening and when, at First Things.
Unread 02-03-2009, 06:58 AM

Very happy to get this good news.

G/W
Unread 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM

More grease to your elbows, Greg and John!

Duncan
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Able Muse/Eratosphere Sponsor Appreciation!

Fine choices, Alex.

Greg, I enjoyed meeting you at West Chester and am delighted that you have joined up.

John, I haven't met you, but if your posts are anything to go by, you are a barrel of fun as well as a fine poet.

A very warm welcome to you both.

John
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

As usual, John Beaton has said everything I would have said, so I'll just say, best wishes and congratulations, John, Gregory. Done.

Frank
Unread 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks to everyone for these kind words and to Alex for inviting me to join the crew. I’m truly honoured – and especially pleased to be sharing the honours with John, whose poetry I have long admired.

I hope I won’t disappoint you, after all those nice things you’ve said. I’m certainly looking forward to it – and I can’t wait to enjoy all the perks I’ve been told go with the job (staff-meetings in the Bahamas, a private key to the British Library, the Bodleian and the Library of Congress…). Given the current financial climate and the fact I live in Venice, I’ve told Alex I’ll forego the company car.

Hope to see you all Musing on Mastery very soon.

Gregory